Shovelglove newbie with a question

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sledgefan

Shovelglove newbie with a question

Post by sledgefan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:32 am

Hi guys/gals. Been doing the routine and love it. (Also keep a semi tire around to beat on outside)

One question I had was if the movement performed in the beginning of this video was also a shovelglove movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYcGVujS ... ed&search=

I've been doing this movement also and really feeling a pump from it after a couple minutes. Just thought I'd throw this out here incase it's not already implemented.
Maybe we could adopt it and name it "pass the buck." heh

Keep swinging. :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:09 am

Looks like a good warm-up.

Equally interesting were the movements on this one, which was linked to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYjTG41 ... ed&search=

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:46 pm

Wow!
Definitely there are many many movements avaliable for the sledgehammer, only limited by our imagination lol...
good to see some guys out there "expanding" the shovelglove knowledge.

I'm still doing the basic routine (sometimes with leg movements), just moved from 8 to 10 pounds, and maybe I'll move to the 12-pounder next month. Then I'll start to incorporate the other shovelglove movements.

Thanks you both for the links, there are great ideas there for implementing.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:40 pm

That does look like a good move.... I haven't done it before or seen it posted here. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight (I've had to move to a night schedule since baby #2). Any ideas for a name?
good to see some guys out there "expanding" the shovelglove knowledge.

The second guy needed a little encouragement to acknowledge the source of what he was expanding :-), but it's all good now. The first guy may have come up with his routine independently.

Reinhard

kayvan

Post by kayvan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:19 pm

That's a fun move. It reminds me of the beginning of some of my Shao Lin kung fu routines.
Father, Husband, Writer, Software Geek.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:19 pm

We really do need a Shovelglove book, Reinhard.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:27 pm

I'd love to! And if the No S book sells, chances are good I'll be given the chance. If not... well, self-publishing keeps getting cheaper.

Reinhard