Temporary SG replacement

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Paekious

Temporary SG replacement

Post by Paekious » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:48 am

i dont have a sledge hammer yet. i've been taking the 14 minutes in the morning and listening to the first 2 songs off of Tool's 10000 days cd (thanks to whomever suggested it).

Yesterday I used a 25lb dumbell for SG type movements. Movements that require help from a wide range of muscles. My favorite was what I called smash with a stone. I held each side of the weight (the heavy parts) down in front of my waist, raise it up over and behind my head (bending my arms) and then bring it back down. I arched my back or abs slightly, depending on where the weight was, to get a little more of an affect in those regions. Another movement i did was to have one weight in each hand, hold them by my sides and swing my arms front to back. I noticed this took a lot of concentration not to fling my self off balance. Then I swung my arms in more of an exagerated walking motion, while holding my legs still.

I'd rather have a shovelglove or at least a lighter weight, but I'm working with what I do have and I think we'll all agree that it is the habit that needs the most development in the beginning.

edit: Also, tuck the bails worked out pretty well too.
Does September count as an S-Day?
-My Wife

unKle

Post by unKle » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:49 pm

Ah plate exercises, I have done these type of things before, and believe me they are killer. I believe I was doing the following type of badly described exercises when I was doing them:

-an over the head press
-straight out from body (so arms at are a 90)
-behind the head and up
-the 'circle' (hold it above your head, then keeping your arms straightish, bring it to your side, below you, the other side, then back up, sort of a circle)

They were fun but I think having kettlebells would leave me feeling more secure.. but I think that the sledge gives me a better all around workout. Still you really really feel it in your arms and core when you do these babies.

Good luck!