Shovelglove moves as in this Mace swinging video

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sledge

Shovelglove moves as in this Mace swinging video

Post by sledge » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Haven't been around here for a LONG time, but visit now and then.
As the weather gets cooler, the 'ol 16lb'r is going to become an early morning, outdoor playtoy a couple of times a week agian.

Came across this video on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CreCOrf9ExM

Could add a twist (if you have the room and not too much China or Crystal in the room) to a good workout.

It's actually of wrestler and legend Karl Gotch (he just passed away a few months ago). He was not only an 'entertainment' wrestler, but a serious one, too. He wrestled in the states in the 50's and early 60's then got basically kicked out due to beating the snot out of Nature Boy Buddy Rogers in real life and broke his arm when Rogers wouldn't drop the title to him (true story).. So he wrestled legitimate wrestlers in India and became a fixture in Japan for about 20 years.

This Mace he is swinging must be in excess of 30 lbs.
He must've been in his fifties or early sixties when this was shot.
Maybe more. The Mace is usually swung on a very long pole/handle as to build up excessive torque for strngth in wrists and forearms, too.

He may have been in his late 50's or early 60's when this was taken.

Just thought I'd share it. If it's been posted before.....a thousand apologies....

Kevin

Re: Shovelglove moves as in this Mace swinging video

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:46 pm

he died at 83 in 2007... he's probably nearer to 80 in this video...

From going to the scientificwrestling site that the video comes from, I'm thinking that's a 15kg mace...

He was a tough dude.
sledge wrote:Haven't been around here for a LONG time, but visit now and then.
As the weather gets cooler, the 'ol 16lb'r is going to become an early morning, outdoor playtoy a couple of times a week agian.

Came across this video on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CreCOrf9ExM

Could add a twist (if you have the room and not too much China or Crystal in the room) to a good workout.

It's actually of wrestler and legend Karl Gotch (he just passed away a few months ago). He was not only an 'entertainment' wrestler, but a serious one, too. He wrestled in the states in the 50's and early 60's then got basically kicked out due to beating the snot out of Nature Boy Buddy Rogers in real life and broke his arm when Rogers wouldn't drop the title to him (true story).. So he wrestled legitimate wrestlers in India and became a fixture in Japan for about 20 years.

This Mace he is swinging must be in excess of 30 lbs.
He must've been in his fifties or early sixties when this was shot.
Maybe more. The Mace is usually swung on a very long pole/handle as to build up excessive torque for strngth in wrists and forearms, too.

He may have been in his late 50's or early 60's when this was taken.

Just thought I'd share it. If it's been posted before.....a thousand apologies....
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:50 pm

Thanks for the post, sledge. I haven't seen this one before (and even if I had, never worry about reposting stuff that may be burried deep within the bulletin board -- if you who know what you're looking for can't find it, others who have no clue don't have a chance).

I've been amazed at home many really old-school sledgehammer and sledgehammer like exercise programs I've seen on the on the internet since I came up with shovelglove in 2002. Frankly, I'm thrilled that shovelglove isn't as original as I'd thought -- the existence of these routines and the obvious results they brought about are proof that the basic mechanics are on target, even for world class athletes. But I still do think shovelglove adds some advantages, for the non-world class athlete especially -- moves that are convenient to perform in your living room (although it looks like a kick ass move, you'd need VERY high ceilings to perform the mace swing in the video above), inexpensive and easily accessible equipment, and touch of humor that makes the whole thing a little more approachable to ordinary human types.

Reinhard