Pain or soreness after doing the Churn Butter

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Per H62

Pain or soreness after doing the Churn Butter

Post by Per H62 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:49 pm

:) Hi all,
I´m a beginner of shoveltraining and I have just finished my first week of training. I have noticed that I experience some pain or soreness in my front shoulders after doing the Churn Butter movement. Have any of you similar experience? I´m not really sure if will develop into some real pain or injury if I keep doing the Churn Butter movement.
Per

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:36 am

Hi Per,

Yes, soreness is common in your first week of shovelgloving. If you aren't sore that week, then I think you're probably doing something wrong. :wink:

Just take it easy. Do the moves that cause the soreness very slowly, enough to stretch the muscle a bit (I think this feels really good, personally), and give your body time to get used to it. If it's too much, skip that movement that day, try it every other day or something.

Drink lots of water....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi Per,

A bit of muscle soreness in the beginning is to be expected... but nothing really painful. You shouldn't feel it in your joints. In any case, back off. Either take a little break from this move and give it another try in a couple weeks or do less reps more carefully. If it still hurts, just leave the move out altogether. There are plenty of other moves that work basically the same muscle groups.

Are you doing the move 2 handed or 1 handed? 2 handed I've found it a pretty easy movement, as have most others. But one handed I find it strains the elbows, so I'd advise against doing it that way.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Reinhard

Reinhard