New to Shovelglove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
digitalepiphany

New to Shovelglove

Post by digitalepiphany » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:52 pm

I just bought a 16lb sledge from Harbor Freight for $28.
16lbs was all they had.
I can definitely feel it in my forearms.
Surprisingly, I can also feel it in my outer thighs.
If I keep this up, I'll look like Popeye in no time.
I'll try to post some before and after pics in a couple months.

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Congratulations on your new hammer

Just remember to go slowly when starting, even if it's tempting to go heavy, fast and hard at first. Little by little is more fun and sustainable, because the idea is to shovelglove for the rest of your life ;). If you keep doing it after a long time you will surely see results. Welcome!

digitalepiphany

Post by digitalepiphany » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm definitely taking it easy. That 16 pounder can get quite heavy.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Welcome!

The hardest part starting out is throttling your enthusiasm so you don't overdo it.

It is funny that you can even feel it in your thighs, I've noticed that, too. These are really very fully-involved movements. You may not get hulk-like all over, but you probably aren't missing any muscles entirely.

Reinhard

digitalepiphany

Post by digitalepiphany » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:06 pm

I thought maybe I was just doing something wrong. But, I guess with the way you torque your legs throughout the movements, you can't help but work them as well.

The hardest part is slowing everything down and making sure that the movements are in comtrol at all times.

I'll make sure and keep you guys and gals updated.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:14 pm

For leg work, if you want to make SURE you're working them, make sure you're bending your knees and tilting your pelvis slightly forward in a good, strong stance.

You'll feel it just like you do in your upper body if you do! (You'll notice bent knees and a solid stance in most videos demonstrating the shovelglove).

I tend to feel it most in my ribs unless I've been swimming REALLY hard. The torque, I think, works the core most wonderfully!

digitalepiphany

Post by digitalepiphany » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:02 pm

That's just what I've been doing. You have to torque your core and use your legs in order to do the movements in a fluid motion.