Hi Reinhard- what's your current workout

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
hockeystar

Hi Reinhard- what's your current workout

Post by hockeystar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:48 am

Hi Reinhard,

Happy New Year!!! Just wondering what your current workout is- are you keeping to the 21-14-7 format? Also, what do you think of having a workout log sub-forum where we can post our workouts, variations, and vitals stats- also a nutrition log documenting our day to day diet? I know that daily check in sort of does this- but how about something in more detail?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:19 pm

I'm definitely going to add a "routines" section, both to the forums and to the main site. In fact, thanks for the nudge... I'll do it sooner. Keep nudging if you don't see it, at least in some rough form, within the next few days.

Below are the details of my current default routines (since at least mid 2007, I think). I don't always do these. If things are crazy I set the timer, take that first swing, and just see what happens (though it usually morphs into something like one of the routines below, or a 21-14-7).

"hard days" (usually M, Tues, sometimes Wednesday also). Hard (but possible) to fit this in 14 minutes, sometimes I go over a minute or so, sometimes I just interrupt when the timer goes off.

phase I. "degraded beast:" max out super strict full range of motion pushups (I average circa 40, record is 45, near term goal is 50, I'd gotten over 50 before but then upped the strictness)

phase II. shovelgove proper (20 pounder)

Except for movement #10, all reps counts are for each hand, i.e., 42 means 42 right, then 42 left.

1. 42 reps drive fence posts
2. 42 reps churn butter
3. 42 reps shovel
4. 14 reps flip switch
5. 14 reps chop wood
6. 14 reps hoist sack
7. 21 reps tuck bales
8. 14 reps fireman
9. 14 reps chop tree
10. 14 (total, no left right distintion) reps swing bell/aka row boat (description pending)
11. 7 reps armwrestle (description pending)

phase III. max out pushups, squats to match daily pushup max

"weak days" (usually Wed-Thu, sometimes friday)

phase I and III as above.

phase II. shovelglove proper: just 7 reps of each shovelglove movement (same order as above); repeat until timer goes off. 7 reps doesn't sound like much, but because you don't rest in between movements, you wind up doing just as much work as in the above routine -- it's just distributed more evenly.

Freestyle Fridays

whatever I feel like. If I'm not feeling imaginative I'll just do a "weak day" routine or a 21-14-7. The rest of the week I usually stick with the 20 pounder, but I often go down to 16 and/or 12 on fridays. Sometimes I even do punching motions ("weighted shadowboxing") with a pair of very light dumbells (my wife's "girly" dumbells, I think just 5 pounds). With the 12 pounder I often do some one handed moves that I'm not strong enough to do with the 20 pounder, like: "The blacksmith" (hammer on an anvil) and "spear the fish." (I haven't posted about these yet, I will soon, my excuse is laziness plus I like to try things out forever before recommending them)

Reinhard

hockeystar

Post by hockeystar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:13 pm

reinhard wrote:I'm definitely going to add a "routines" section, both to the forums and to the main site. In fact, thanks for the nudge... I'll do it sooner. Keep nudging if you don't see it, at least in some rough form, within the next few days.

Below are the details of my current default routines (since at least mid 2007, I think). I don't always do these. If things are crazy I set the timer, take that first swing, and just see what happens (though it usually morphs into something like one of the routines below, or a 21-14-7).

"hard days" (usually M, Tues, sometimes Wednesday also). Hard (but possible) to fit this in 14 minutes, sometimes I go over a minute or so, sometimes I just interrupt when the timer goes off.

phase I. "degraded beast:" max out super strict full range of motion pushups (I average circa 40, record is 45, near term goal is 50, I'd gotten over 50 before but then upped the strictness)

phase II. shovelgove proper (20 pounder)

Except for movement #10, all reps counts are for each hand, i.e., 42 means 42 right, then 42 left.

1. 42 reps drive fence posts
2. 42 reps churn butter
3. 42 reps shovel
4. 14 reps flip switch
5. 14 reps chop wood
6. 14 reps hoist sack
7. 21 reps tuck bales
8. 14 reps fireman
9. 14 reps chop tree
10. 14 (total, no left right distintion) reps swing bell/aka row boat (description pending)
11. 7 reps armwrestle (description pending)

phase III. max out pushups, squats to match daily pushup max

"weak days" (usually Wed-Thu, sometimes friday)

phase I and III as above.

phase II. shovelglove proper: just 7 reps of each shovelglove movement (same order as above); repeat until timer goes off. 7 reps doesn't sound like much, but because you don't rest in between movements, you wind up doing just as much work as in the above routine -- it's just distributed more evenly.

Freestyle Fridays

whatever I feel like. If I'm not feeling imaginative I'll just do a "weak day" routine or a 21-14-7. The rest of the week I usually stick with the 20 pounder, but I often go down to 16 and/or 12 on fridays. Sometimes I even do punching motions ("weighted shadowboxing") with a pair of very light dumbells (my wife's "girly" dumbells, I think just 5 pounds). With the 12 pounder I often do some one handed moves that I'm not strong enough to do with the 20 pounder, like: "The blacksmith" (hammer on an anvil) and "spear the fish." (I haven't posted about these yet, I will soon, my excuse is laziness plus I like to try things out forever before recommending them)

Reinhard

Excellent post!!! Thanks Reinhard!! I think this is an excellent guideline if one gets "stuck". Thanks again!

sledge

Post by sledge » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Reinhard,
with the 42 reps.....is that broken into 6 sets of 7?
Just wondering.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:02 pm

No, these are big, high rep count sets.

I don't recommend starting out with such high rep counts, and even I don't do them 5 days a week. Lower is better -- safer, more interesting, and I think approximately as good a workout if you don't rest in between sets.

Reinhard