New shovelglover

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
tommi

New shovelglover

Post by tommi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:56 pm

First of all, hello to everybody!
I'm Tommi, i'm italian, male, 24.

Amazed with the shovelglove website, yesterday I have bought a 8# sledgehammer (looks like italian carpenters are lazier than american ones, i couldn't find a heavier sledgehammer). There's a great thing about coming out of an hardware store with dark hat, sunglasses and a big hammer, all of a sudden people treat you in a very gentle way, every driver is pleased to wait for you to cross the road and nobody asks you for money/cigarettes :wink:

I'm in a bad shape and i want to be fit, i have to admit i thought shovelgloving was easier, it's my second day and i'm wasted(in a good, god-i'm-so-manly-look-at-those-muscles-burning way :))

I decided to take pictures of myself every month, maybe at the 24th picture i will look better, who knows
we do what we want because we can

ultimas

Post by ultimas » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:52 pm

Tommi,

Welcome to Shovelgloving. I have had great success with Shovelglove, and would recommend it to anyone who wants a better body without the hours in a gym that the "experts" recommend. I am currently on deployment with the Navy, and when I sent pictures to my wife of myself wearing just shorts and no shirt, she really noticed the difference. Keep in mind - this was after only a month and a half of 14-minute per day workouts (and only 5 days a week, too!).

I find that following Reinhard's suggested workout does wonders to grow new muscle. I am still doing the same four moves as when I started - shoveling, churning butter, chopping firewood, and flip lever - these are enough to help you grow muscle, so just believe it and do it.

Good luck...and make your own luck.
Sean

Greenman67

Post by Greenman67 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Hey All..New to Shovelglove too. Have done 3 days so far. Taking off for the weekend, but I can definitely feel the muscles. I don't have a timer yet, so I'm doing 20 reps on each arm. I start with shoveling then chop wood, hoist sack, chop tree, drive fenceposts and then end with flip lever. Don't even know how long it's taking. I'm doing this once in the morning and once when I get home from work. It's really fantastic. I've started with a 12lbs shovel, and have bought my son a 6lbs. He's a tiny guy but in great shape (competing in the European Wrestling Championships as I type this) and I think working with SG over the summer will maintain/increase his strength for next season. We'll most likely tweak the workout and I'll soon be starting on the No-S eating system in order to lose the Buddha belly. This seems like a really fun, practical way to exercise and I'm jazzed to be getting started!

tommi

Post by tommi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Greenman67 wrote:Hey All..New to Shovelglove too. Have done 3 days so far. Taking off for the weekend, but I can definitely feel the muscles. I don't have a timer yet, so I'm doing 20 reps on each arm.
If you need a timer check my midi timer, it may come handy while you're waiting for a proper one!

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2619

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Welcome tommi and Greenman67!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to welcome you Tommi before you hurt your bicep... hope that gets better soon.

Do be very careful. Do not shug if anything hurts and try lower rep sets to distribute the workout more evenly over different muscle groups. Injury from overdoing it is a far more potent excuse for giving an exercise routine up than mere laziness -- so keep that sneaky enemy far from you.

Reinhard

tommi

Post by tommi » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 pm

ultimas wrote:Tommi, I am currently on deployment with the Navy, and when I sent pictures to my wife of myself wearing just shorts and no shirt, she really noticed the difference. Keep in mind - this was after only a month and a half of 14-minute per day workouts (and only 5 days a week, too!).
Good luck...and make your own luck.
I know what you mean, sounded impossible to me but even after 3 days of shovelgloving i could feel my muscles being a bit bigger and stiffer than usual - my girlfriend, who hasn't seen me for more than a month, could feel the difference, strange but true