Shoveling snow!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
franxious

Shoveling snow!

Post by franxious » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:51 am

Hey all,

I've been shovelgloving for about seven weeks now. I've been lurking, but I wanted to share this:

Yesterday it snowed a few inches in my area. We have a fairly short driveway, but quite a large amount of sidewalk to shovel. Before he left for work, my husband shoveled the driveway. When I got home from work, I shoveled the entire sidewalk. The last time I shoveled snow, it seemed incredibly strenuous. This time, it wasn't difficult at all. My husband wasn't home yet, but I spoke to him on the phone. He said, "I broke my back shoveling the driveway this morning," and I mentioned that I'd shoveled the sidewalk. He just couldn't believe it.

:) !!!

Lisa

ou812

Post by ou812 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:24 am

Way to go! Shoveling snow is a great workout. I see so many people cheating themselves out of a workout with the snowblower. They are probably shoveling their drives, so that they can drive to the gym and workout with a machine. :lol:

sledge

Post by sledge » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:05 pm

:lol: :lol:
Nice catch, ou812....but the sad part is that your are all too right on this!

I have to admit, last night - shoveled (even my 7 yr old came out to help...."Mom said this is a good workout, Dad"...at 7 :shock: )
This morning, started to shovel (again...big driveway). Snow was VERY HEAVY and I had a meeting I needed to get ready for. Made it half way and turned to the Craftmans workhorse that I own, and finished it up.
Had to do it, just due to time.
Wow...2 confessions in one week!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:00 pm

I have a rule that if I do ACTUAL shoveling (for at least 14 minutes, of course), I don't have to pretend (shovelglove) that day. I love shovelglove, but real labor is always preferable. For an otherwise sedentary computer programmer like me, a snowstorm is a great opportunity. I wouldn't want to put myself in the absurd position of resenting the time it takes to apply my hard won strength because it's keeping me from my simulated preparation (or worse, skipping the real for the sake of the simulation because I don't have time for both). This rule has the side benefit of making chores seem fun.

Reinhard