One-armed shugging

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
paulrone

One-armed shugging

Post by paulrone » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:48 pm

I was at a flea market the other day and I found the perfect complement to my 16 pound shovel glove - five pound drill hammers! Picture a five pound sledge head on a 13 inch handle.
I bought two of them and I've found all sorts of exercises I can do with them. Remember the old indian club swinging exercises? I do several of those, plus a couple of my own creation. Specifically, semaphore flags and the blacksmith.
I can't really explain semaphore, so you can google it to get the idea. I learned it as a Boy Scout. Blacksmith, though, is just alternate hammering motions, kinda like flip the lever, but alternating each arm mimicking the action of hitting an anvil.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:05 pm

Paul,

Very cool! I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while.

I've actually been using my 12 pounder for some one armed moves that would work much better with a shorter, lighter hammer ("blacksmith" is one of them).

The term "drill hammer" will be helpful in tracking these down... I actually see a bunch on amazon (ignore the "hammer drills"). May just order a couple...

Reinhard