Shugging, DOMS, and other exercise plans

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
MisterBibs

Shugging, DOMS, and other exercise plans

Post by MisterBibs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 am

Hello,

I've been shovel-gloving for about 1-2 months now, and I figure I'd ask about an issue I've been having that occasionally wrecks my plans for shugging.

See, aside from shugging, I also do a three-times a week weight lifting regimen. Nothing fancy, just some weights.

The problem is that, from what I've learned, one should rest their body for at least a day for the body to repair the microtrauma to one's muscles.

Plus, when I shug on "days off", its hard for me to do all the motions as effectively / safely as I like.

Thus, am I overtraining if I shug every day? Combined with this knowledge (and Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), its remarkably easy for me to justify either not doing the weights or the shugging, which breeds complacency.

Thanks for any help. Shugging is definately a fun little hobby.
The human wheel is {?could be}
a metaphor for S'pht {?time};
(circumstances are cyclical)
The Eleventh Clan will return.
You must go to them.

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:12 am

Well, I'm certainly no fitness expert, but I read a lot and from what I understand "recovery time" doesn't necessarily mean no exercise at all. For instance, if your using your weight days for heavy lifts, then it would be good for recovery to use SG as a cardio or endurance workout in between weight sessions. Basically, your using the muscles and nerves differently, so you're healing from the heavy lifting while working a different strength quality.

Rumor has it that exercise is actually the best thing for DOMS because it promotes blood flow to the afflicted areas and rinses out the lactic acid that's causing that "burn". Obviously, you don't want to overdo it, though.

My approach is to adjust my sessions to suit my energy level, so if I'm really whipped the day after heavy lifts, then I'll let myself move a slower on my cardio, or cut the reps for my endurance workout. Or, if I'm worn down on a heavy day, I'll just ease up on the resistance a bit.

I'd highly recommend reading some of the stuff on Rosstraining.com - the guys there pretty much all train like this and Ross's books are remarkably good resources, especially for the relatively low price.

Hope that helps!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:27 pm

Welcome!

I don't know about the science behind "DOMS," but I'd rather overtrain than not train, which seems to be the alternative. And I'm pretty happy with the results I've gotten over the last 6 or so years -- and except while I'm working out, and then in a good way, I'm rarely sore. There's no way I could have made myself stick to a routine that was more complicated or ambiguous than "if it's a weekday, you exercise."

Also, c'mon, it's 14 minutes. Your great grandpa did this kind of work 14 hours a day six days a week.

I think a lot of exercise "information" is geared towards ultra serious athletes who are trying to squeeze the last drop or performance out of their already highly strenuous routines. It's just not relevant for mere mortals who's primary problem is getting off the couch.

I'm not saying you should kill yourself by doing your hardest routine every single day, no matter how beat you are, on the contrary. Do a relatively relaxed 14 minutes. Do fewer moves. Go slow. But unless you've actually injured yourself or are sick, unless something actually hurts, it's very important in terms of psychology and habit do do something. Don't feel like a wimp for doing a low power workout when you're beat, feel like a hero. It's easy to go nuts when you're feeling pumped. But long term, it's the "wimpy" workouts that make the difference, that keep the habit intact.

Reinhard