Short Hiatus

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Le Mercenaire

Short Hiatus

Post by Le Mercenaire » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:51 am

Hello all,

After a family extension (commonly known as birth of a new child), I am back after over 2 months off. The first few days are particularly hard, but I'm sure that those 14 minutes will soon pass like a breeze.

For the new ones on this forum, I've been shugging since octobre 2006 and I am now working out with a 16 pounder (usually) 3/4 days a week. Having 2 kids that are not really the sleeping type makes it a bit rough, but I'm sure I'll manage.

Wish me luck :)

Le Mercenaire
Last edited by Le Mercenaire on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bis vincit qui se vincit in victoriam

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Luck, and lots of it! :)

(I think one of the hardest parts of parenthood is the sleep deprivation bit. My son was NOT a good sleeper, and it was rugged.)

Le Mercenaire

Post by Le Mercenaire » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:49 am

Thank you very much.

One the bright side, I've had two kids that are pretty good on the sleep and a wonderful wife who don't believe in the fact that I should be awaken just to go get the baby and bring him to her.

So, generally speaking, I'm having pretty good nights.

Le Mercenaire

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:27 pm

Welcome back! And congratulations!

I hear you about the two kids who aren't particularly into sleep -- my situation as well.

I once got my 14 minutes in doing squats in the dark while holding the baby to rock her to sleep. It worked -- except I had trouble walking the next day.

Reinhard

Le Mercenaire

Post by Le Mercenaire » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:06 am

Mouhahahaha, I totally understand that, walking the baby for half the night.
Luckily, my son is starting to get a liking for sleep (he's now 2 months old)
and has done a few nights of 6-7 hours of sleep. We're on the right path!

Thanks again for all the support!

Le Mercenaire

MitchellKing

Post by MitchellKing » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:27 am

I once got my 14 minutes in doing squats in the dark while holding the baby to rock her to sleep. It worked -- except I had trouble walking the next day.

Did you have an extra handle ? Maybe something to bind her to the handle .. ::Ducks :: :P
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. ...

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:32 pm

My daughter used to wake up nights as a baby and ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT let me sit down while rocking her back to sleep. I don't know how she would know wether I was sitting or standing with her in my arms in a dark room, but she knew. If I sat down, she screamed. So, I used it to get a bit of exercise. While I had her in my arms I would go through some tai chi leg motions and move my body in a sort of fogure eight or infinity patternt while bouncing her a bit. It would put her out and give me a bit of exercise.