Been gone for a bit, now I'm back

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Finnigan

Been gone for a bit, now I'm back

Post by Finnigan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Well, I fell off the wagon for a bit, but I am getting started again and I now have a buddy! My wife and I picked up some old hammers at a flea market. I was concerned with doing SG at home becayse of the low ceilings, but I found an old hammer with a shorter than normal handle. It doesn't seem to have a weight stamped into the head, but weighs in around 10lb. I had to rewedge the head because it was loose. For my wife to start out we got an old "lump" type hammer (one hander) with a long'ish handle that weighs in about 3lb. My wife is short, so the handle sort of fits, though I'd like to get her something a bit longer and heavier in the future.

We have a scheduled workout and bed time the night before a work day (so sun-thu). 10:45 is shovelglove; 11-11:30 is bed.

I'm hoping the buddy system can improve our health and keep us rested better than we had been.

So far our routine consists of

drive the post
shovel
flip the lever
churn butter
hoist the sack
samurai + thrust

right now to get back on the wagon we are doing sets of 7.

Looking forward to feeling better.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Welcome back to the wagon :-)

My wife doesn't actually swing a sledgehammer, but (4 days a week, M-Th) she does the 14 minutes with me (she does yoga/pilates). It's definitely motivationally helpful for both of us. I just need to be a little extra careful about where I'm swinging that sledge. :-)

Reinhard