Free interval PC Timer

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
bluebunny27

Free interval PC Timer

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:05 am

GymBossier - Free pc Timer
http://tinyurl.com/cyde4w

High-Tech Shovelglovers who work out close to their computers (Like me) will probably like this very useful timer. It's completely free, you can set intervals as well which is very useful (and seems very rare!)

This is convenient when you shovelglove and you are constantly changing exercises every 15-30-45 seconds.

Fox example, instead of setting your timer for 14 minutes and then having to keep in my mind when you have to change exercises ... you can set easily this timer so that it has 28 X 30 sec. intervals instead.

This way you do the first exercise, a little 'bip' is heard in the speakers when the countdown reaches 0, that's when you change exercises and the countdown begins again from 30 seconds to 0 ... You have one countdown, constantly resetting itself from 30 seconds to 0 without having to touch a thing. I love that.

I just found this program the other day and I find it quite interesting (despite the so-so appearance, but when it comes to interval pc timer, you can't be too fussy, this is the only free pc interval timer I could find anywhere in fact !

No installation required. You download it, you double click on the .exe file when you want to work out and you brandish your sledgehammer ...

Your settings are kept in a separate file too so you don't have to enter them all the time of course, unless you change your workout in some way.

http://tinyurl.com/cyde4w

I usually work out with that timer while watching TV or a video on the computer.

Marc ;-)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:35 pm

Nice!

I'm on a mac, so this won't work for me personally.

Wonder if I should try to write a cross platform Adobe Air version...

Reinhard

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Yes, I forgot to mention it's for Windows PC systems ...
not Mac ... sorry !

You can use it for shovelglove exercises (just put the same numbers in both timers) or for real interval cardio training (Good way to lose weight !) ... I do both types of exercises. Winter time here in Canada, so I train inside and I can see the timer on my pc screen easily.

Marc ;-)

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 pm

Great! I've wanted something like this for awhile. I usually just wear my GymBoss to the office to intersperse my day with sets of push-ups.

Thanks,

Joel

DC++

Post by DC++ » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:03 pm

Sounds remarkably similar to what I was looking for a few months ago to help with randomised juggling pattern training. I couldn't find anything though so wrote my own to run on my PDA (uses .Net so also runs on windows PCs).

It is a countdown timer that reads a list of things from a file. Each time the interval elapses, a chime sounds and the next item in the list is displayed. It can be set to either work through the list in order or pick an item at random (with no repeats).

Funny thing is, I am currently using this to time my workouts but I am simply setting the interval to 14 minutes and ignoring the randomised list/sequencing feature. It might be fun to use that to get a randomised movement order every now and then.

If there is any interest I could clean things up a bit* and post the file somewhere. Completely free of course.

* Saving settings to a file, not hard coding the chime sound to a system file on Pocket PC's, that sort of thing.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Sounds great D++, I am interested.

I like pc timers since I am using one on the computer when I shovelglove... so I know when to change exercises, when my workout is over, things like that.

Marc

DC++

Post by DC++ » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:09 pm

I will have a look at my app then. It is currently a little rough on a PC since it was written as a Pocket PC app.

If there was enough interest I could port it to Java or a Java applet pretty easily which would let it run on most platforms.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun May 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Here's an Online Interval Timer: http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html

Very flexible. And Free!

tplatt

Hello

Post by tplatt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:13 am

Hello Shovelglovers.

I noticed you've found the speed bag forum.com timer. It was missing a 14 minute option, which is clearly of great importance to you. I have added that option.

I tried your method of workout tonight and it was quite enjoyable. I think I'll have a go of it for awhile.

Good luck in your physical endeavors and if you have any further suggestions for the timer, please let me know

http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

Tim

tplatt

Re: Hello

Post by tplatt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 am

Forgot to mention, it works with Mac, Windows, and Linux and can work in offline mode with no internet connection.