Injury question (weights, but not SG)

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
kccc

Injury question (weights, but not SG)

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:03 pm

This is exercise-related, though not Shovelglove-related... but I thought some of you work-out types might have some wisdom for me.

I have hurt myself doing BodyPump, which is weight-lifting to aerobics. The pain is in the left side of my neck, trapezius area, and I noticed that I also had a knot under that shoulder blade (so it may be referred pain). Basically, it feels like a very painful knot that I can't seem to work out. I did this last week, and it took four days of all the treatment I could figure out to do (ice/advil/heat after a while/gentle stretches - on both the neck area and the shoulder once I located the lower knot) before I was sort of back to normal.

And now I've done it again. :( I thought my form was good, but maybe not.

I think this may be happening during squats, but it may be shoulders. Any thoughts? I love the class, but don't like this side effect at all!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Sorry to hear this, KCCC (though I'm glad shugging's not to blame!)

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about injuries like this... (I've been every lucky, I guess not to have to be).

Hope you feel better soon and that someone with a bit more of a clue about these things than me chimes in here,

Reinhard

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:22 am

I know some Body Pump instructors, and they would be appalled at what you are feeling. I would suggest (a) talking to your instructors, (b) checking out the BP website, but most of all, if you are having these symptoms -- just stop! And then start investigating. BP is pretty intense, and, as good as it might feel, may not be for everyone, or at least with some pre-prep.

It's so important to have a workout that works for you, without hurting or intimidating you -- there are lots of workout options out there ... and you've got to be realistic about something that you can stick with that doesn't hurt you.

From what I know of the Body Pump folks, I think they might help you to find something better .... talk and talk to folks!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks, Winnie.

On my last class, I cut the weights and really attended to form. My shoulder threatened, but did not seize up. I will talk to the instructor(s) and see what they say, but mostly I will be ultra-careful! (Have since been on a mini-vacation, so LOTS of walking has been my only exercise.)

Will also look at the BP site - hadn't thought of that!

Cheers,

KCCC

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Update: I did talk to my instructor, and asked her to go over the form again on squats. She asked if I'd recently bumped up weights, which I had, and showed me exactly where the bar should go. I'd had it a bit high. She said I might want to drop back down on the weights as well as modifying the position, but I thought I'd be okay with the modification (I'm not using really high weights as of yet).

And it was fine. So, I think that was the problem. My neck/shoulders are kind of a vulnerable area anyway, and I'd overstressed.

Just posting in case anyone else runs into something similar. The proper placement of the bar is not really on the shoulders/neck as it looks, but on the "meaty" part of the upper back, just below that area. An inch makes a big difference.

Winnie, thanks again for pointing out the best course of action - which, while obvious in hindsight, I'd clearly missed! :)