Mace swings with sledgehammer (YouTube)

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
DC++

Mace swings with sledgehammer (YouTube)

Post by DC++ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:28 am

I found this on YouTube. It shows indian Gada style mace swings (as mentioned in a few previous threads) using a sledgehammer. The most impressive are the one handed movements.

I have tried doing these and still find the 12 lb hammer too intimidating. I could probably manage it but it scares me a bit too much. I can do them with my 8 pounder though. Amazing how much difference just 4 pounds make!

The video

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks for the link...

That back around the head move does look very cool -- looks sort of like a one handed version of the move in Aparjito.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1975

It does look a little scary (and requires high ceilings).

Might give it a try this freestyle-friday.... (I finally got a lap top so I can watch and imitate without having to run across the apartment).

Reinhard

DC++

Post by DC++ » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 am

I haven't attempted the one-handed version. Far too scary! But I am now doing the two-handed version with the 12 and 8 pounders. To succeed with the 12 pounder I have to warm up but not be too tired (so I do it roughly 5 minutes into my routine). The biggest thing is the speed of the move. It just doesn't work slowly or with any trepidation since it uses the momentum of the hammer to assist with the second half of the move when the hands are pulling down to bring the hammer back over the shoulder to the vertical.

I find it has to be done with confidence which is mostly why I still find it easier with the lighter hammer.

This Karl Gotch video is pretty good for describing the two-handed version.

Good luck! Hopefully you won't add some extra holes to your ceiling (or head)!