Shovelglove workout: I didn't know I had those muscles!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Bushranger

Shovelglove workout: I didn't know I had those muscles!

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:10 am

Hello everyone. I've been reading the Everyday Systems BB and various linked websites for some months now and decided finally to get involved. I've found most of the information very useful and Reinhard thinks much like I do regarding simplicity and making things just work without over-complicating them.

Anyways, I decided to finally get involved on here and I took up my shovelglove yesterday for my first workout. It was harder than I thought it would be and I'm feeling all my upper body muscles today. You know that good ache you get from a good workout? I got a good quality 14lb sledge for myself.

One thing I have noticed is that slowing down the movement seems more stressful then the initial part, particularly on the lower back. I am slightly fearful that doing the initial part too forcefully could result in needing to apply too much arresting force to stop the swing and potentially wrench my back. Has anyone else noticed this also?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:24 am

Hi! I think you started with a pretty hefty hammer there.
Go really carefully, but I'm sure you will adapt to it fairly soon.
First few workouts are the toughest.
Go slowly and maybe not for fourteen mins right at the beginning..
Build it up over a few weeks.
Good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:32 am

It is indeed a hefty brute. :D Thanks for the tips. What has your experience been with it on your back regarding the halting of the movement?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:39 am

Well I used to do Shovelglove much more in the past, but recently I had an injury to my left shoulder (not SG related) so my 12 lb one is actually too heavy for me to use comfortably.. I'm focusing on rehabilitation at the moment so doing water exercises and gentler stuff.
But, when I did work out SG'ing, I never went forcefully..
The first time I did it, I was a bit nuts and cranked Led Zeppelin and just *murdered* myself!!!
After that, I took a very slow approach and just would do small reps and change the movements before any one muscle group would get too fatigued.
I never tried to really "halt" the hammer.. i would just slow down at the end of a movement and let it kind of taper off.
Go carefully.
Seriously, fourteen pounds is more than Reinhard started with, and he stuck with his 12 lb hammer for a whole year before upgrading to 16..
Then a year with that.
But now he's using a 20 lb one!!
Unreal!!
Maybe you could also play with holding your hands closer to the head of the hammer so the force isn't so much.
The further away you are, the greater the leverage becomes.
Have fun!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:42 am

Oh also, really important,,, don't twist your body while lifting or chopping..
Keep your movements well within your core zone and directly in front of you, as opposed to twisting and lifting from the side.
That will mess you back up bad..
Use your core muscles and keep your spine straight and keep your knees soft..

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:46 am

I see. I will definitely go carefully. I did notice he started with a 12lb one. The 14lb was a mega bargain, last in stock, and well under cost of the 12lb and 10lb ones so my Scottish thrift won out. :lol:

I have been gripping quite close to the head but I'll go a bit more gently on the swing so I don't have to halt so forcefully.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 am

What town are you from?
I have a few Scottish mates.
Yeah, you lot are supposed to be a bit erm, "thrifty" I gather :D
Well glad you got a great deal and I'm sure you will acclimate well after a few weeks going.
8) Debs

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 am

I just did my second workout and today I used an egg timer for 14 mins. Yesterday I didn't time anything. I found I was completely shattered at 7mins and had to call quits. I'll probably continue to set the timer for 14mins and when I am toast see how far along I got if I miss the mark.

DC++

Post by DC++ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:29 am

14 lb is pretty sturdy to start out with, but it should be fine given that most people see pretty impressive strength gains during the first few months of a strength building program.

And I agree with your observation that the faster you swing the more you have to work to control the ending of the movement. Slow and controlled seems like a much safer way to start out. Once you feel more strength and control is developing then experiment with faster speeds.

Fast explosive movements have a different training effect than slow controlled movements, so even when you can do the fast motions without hurting your back it would probably be beneficial to keep a mixture of fast and slow in the routine.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:43 am

Agreed DC++. I've done bodybuilding and powerlifting in the past and the difference between power moves and slower controlled moves is quite pronounced. You sound like you know a bit yourself.

DC++

Post by DC++ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:36 am

I don't know too much, but I used to spend far too much time lifting weights in the gym, messing around with things like Matrix Training, creatine supplements and other crazy stuff.

Curiously, looking at the matrix training website I linked just now, he makes this interesting statement:
As incredible as it sounds, anyone pressed for time can complete a highly effective workout in just ten to twenty minutes a day, depending upon fitness levels, either in a gym or at home.
He isn't talking about shovelglove but it does lend support to the idea that just 14 minutes a day is enough to be effective. Of course all the shuggers here already knew that :)

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:37 am

Haha! I have 2 of his first books, The Matrix Principle and Matrix for Muscle Gain so I know exactly what you are talking about. His "mix everything up" sets are very demanding. I found it too complicated though to get into a solid routine with it. I got very sick of having to constantly refer to the schedule to remember what matrix I was supposed to be doing. It's obviously very effective but it's just too much thinking and planning for my liking. I noticed you are an Aussie too. 8)

DC++

Post by DC++ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:48 am

Hah! I have The Matrix Principle as well and my experience was quite similar to yours I think. I found the methods very demanding and effective but quite complicated. I never really got past the simple half-rep and ladder patterns.

Out of curiosity I did a simple matrix* today with the sledgehammer when doing flip the lever (bicep curls), hoist the sack or whatever it is called (tricep press) and a one-handed shoulder press movement. One set each side and my arms were totally cactus! I could barely get through the other movements.

So although the full matrix routines are far too complicated for my tastes these days, the simple ideas do seem to fit right into a 14 SG workout.

Yep, another Aussie here. We seem to be well represented in the shugging world :)

* Instead of doing a set (10, 12, 21 etc) of full repetitions, try this:
- 5 full reps
- 5 reps through the first 50% of the range of movement (ROM) only.
- 5 reps through the second 50% of ROM.
- 5 full reps.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Welcome, Bushranger!

Yes, the "catching" part of shovelglove is often much harder than the "throwing" part -- and it exercises different muscles, the abs and back in particular. And of course, it can hurt those muscles if you overdo it.

When you really get comfortable with the movements, I think the "catching" can be the best part, though (there's even some Japanese term for this kind of exercise, though I can't find it at the moment). But give yourself time to ease into it. Injury is the mother of all excuses to stop exercising, so don't think you're being hard core by courting it (not that you are, but I notice a disturbing number of people seem to feel this way).

As Deb mentioned, I started with a 12 pounder, and that was probably too heavy. So 14 is plenty. But hold it close the the head and go slow, and I think you'll be fine.

My dad learned his English in Australia (he's from Germany) so I like to think I'm some fractional part honorary Aussi. :-)

Reinhard

DC++

Post by DC++ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:33 pm

reinhard wrote: My dad learned his English in Australia (he's from Germany) so I like to think I'm some fractional part honorary Aussi. :-)
That's good enough for me! So G'day Mate :)

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:44 pm

Yep sounds good to me too. *passes Reinhard an honorary Aussie badge* :)

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:58 am

Ok. It's Monday here in Australia and I did my fourth shovelglove workout after having the weekend break.

I was surprised with my improvement since only the three workouts last week. I did 8 minutes today and was not anywhere near as exhausted in my muscles. My arms were not as jelly like nor were they burning much at all. My back also felt considerably more solid and I did all the movements much more controlled and smoothly.

Again, I am very surprised for what seemed to be such a noticeable improvement in such a small timeframe. Very pleased indeed! I'll close in on 14 mins much quicker than expected and the 14lb is already not feeling so weighty. :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:11 pm

That's great!!!
It's usually the first one or two workouts which is the most exhausting.. Amazing how the muscles quickly adapt afterward :)
You will be ripped in no time with that 14 lb monster! :wink:
Have a nice week :)
8) Debs

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:29 am

Thanks Debs. You too :)