Howdy!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
MystikCelt

Howdy!

Post by MystikCelt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Hey there! Just took up the hammer recently, thought I'd say hello!

Found this site in a roundabout way when reading up on Rob Downey Jr.'s training for Iron Man 2... apparently he gets easily bored, so his trainer had to find some routine that would keep him interested. Part of that routine was sledgehammer training. Being a big celtic barbarian myself, I was thrilled with the idea of working out by beating the hell outta something with a large, heavy hammer hehe. Sure enough, later that night I caught some UFC fighters training with sledges on Spike tv, which reminded me to check it out online. Lo and behold, Shovelglove!

Anyway, I rangered my butt over to Home Depot and got started (without the wrapped sweater... I have enough space, and I kinda like looking at the massive blunt iron head of the hammer as I imagine my battles heh), and boy is it ever a workout. I'm 35, and haven't worked out regularly in about 10 years, but for off and on spurts. I was heavy into powerlifting when I was younger though, and I still carry a good portion of 7 years worth of muscle, though, maybe, just mmaaaayybbee, it's been padded over some in that time. My old clothes just shrunk through repeated washings. Yeah, that's it.

So far I've only been doing it for two weeks, but what gets me about this type of training is that I cant imagine getting bored with it. I'm either swinging a big hammer, or beating a big tire with a big hammer. Either way, I've got a runaway imagination, so each time I'm playing my own little Conan movie in my mind heh. Since I've fallen in love with it so quickly, I've been mouthing off about it to anyone around me interested in working out, and I've already dragged in a few converts in just two weeks heh.

As for music, while everyone's tastes vary, I've made a playlist of Corvus Corax songs.
http://s0.ilike.com/play#Corvus+Corax:A ... :m22558527
They're a German festival band who play a version of modernized medieval music with period instruments they've all crafted themselves. Watching them is absolutely amazing, and their music just gets you moving with an almost mindless, primal energy. I play Mille Anni Passi Sunt, Saltarello, and Platerspiel, which is about 15 minutes of music. It breaks down into about 4 minutes of moderate pace beats, then 4 minutes of balls to the wall hammering, followed by 4 minutes at moderate again, and finally 3 or so minutes of "omg did I remember to fill out my will yet" frenzy. That's usually followed by about 10 minutes of pretending I'm a sweaty, panting throw rug ;)

Anyway, that's me. Thanks for the great workout, and, Hi!
It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming, on seas and continents and islands, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls.

MystikCelt

Corvus Corax Live for anyone interested ;)

Post by MystikCelt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:24 pm

It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming, on seas and continents and islands, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Welcome!

I like the Corvus Corax -- very Catchy, in a quasi-satanic kind of way. :-)
what gets me about this type of training is that I cant imagine getting bored with it.
There is something inherently fun about swinging around a sledgehammer -- especially if you're "role playing" at the same time. But if for some reason it ever gets old, or if you don't have a hammer handy because you're traveling or whatever, remember that you can mix it up during your 14 N-daily minutes with other, non-sledgehammer moves.

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=38

Reinhard