New to SG!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
GDA9

New to SG!

Post by GDA9 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:33 am

Good day everybody!

My name is Gabriel, from Croydon, England.

I'm not exactly new to exercise in general - I have been training with free weights for a few years now, strength training specifically (3 times a week, whole body compounds), and in the last 6 months I have been training with bodyweight exercises, complimented by kettlebells and gymnastic rings.

Just last week I heard about Shovelglove and decided to check out the website and I have to say I found it extremely appealing. So, I decided to get my trusty old sledgehammer from the garage and start SG'ing!

Today I did shoveling (10 reps each side), butter churning (10 reps each side), wood chopping (10 each side) and flip curl thingies (8 each side). I stuck to a conservative number of reps because SG'ing is way harder than I imagined. (And here I am, thinking I had more stamina... :oops: )

I just have one question: I'm not exactly a fitness expert, so I'd like to know if it's fine for me to continue to do my M-W-F strength training routine, along with SG five times a week? SG would fit into my daily routine as endurance/"cardio", I suppose.

Thanks. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Welcome, Gabriel -- and sorry it's taken me forever to post here. Vacation + digging myself out of accumulated work emails.

It terms of fitting SG into your current routine, I'd recommend focusing on a fixed time every N-day to do some kind of exercise, and then filling in those slots with whatever you prefer. So maybe M-F pure strength traing, Tu-Th pure shovelglove, W a hybrid routine of both. I'm fond of 14 minutes as the fixed amount of time, but if your strength routine takes longer, I don't think that should be a problem (seems like a habit you already have pretty well in place). I do think trying to do BOTH N-daily shovelglove AND another intensive routine (so 8 workouts in 5 days) sounds unsustainable, both time and muscle-wise.

Reinhard

GDA9

Post by GDA9 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:58 am

Hi Reinhard,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I found the answer to my question already! :D

I've been exchanging a couple of emails with Timothy of Urban Primalist. He suggested I split my routine into the following protocol: Shugging and upper body (pull ups, dips, press ups, etc) on M, W & F, focusing on muscle-building explosive movements (as outlined in his website), 30-40 minutes; and lower body (squats, lunges and walks with a heavy backpack, pistols and/or kettlebell swings) on T, Th & Sat. I would take Sunday off.

I will be trying this protocol from Monday and will be posting any updates, etc as soon as I completed the week.

Gabriel. 8)