Hammer Weight

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Ray E

Hammer Weight

Post by Ray E » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:59 pm

I've been using the 16 lbs hammer for quite a while, 5x/wk ~15-17 minutes each session. I vary the number of sets and reps (e.g., 21-14-7, 25-15, 13-13-13, etc.) using 10 different exercises. I'm curious as to when others moved up to a higher hammer. Were you consistently finishing your workout below 14-15 minutes, or significantly doing more reps. I feel like I can move up to 18lbs, but don't know if it's worth it yet. Thanks.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Every time I've upgraded I've been surprised twice. First, I was surprised at just how damn heavy a few extra pounds can seem. Then, maybe just a couple of weeks later, I was surprised at how normal it felt already.

Don't expect to be able to do your full routine right off the bat. I'd know off a few reps, maybe even cut them in half, from each movement and ease up. Better to play it save, and as I mentioned, I think you'll be surprised at how soon you're back up to your old cruising speed again.

One little caveat: you won't progress evenly in all the movements. Some will stay harder longer. Don't let that bug you. Just make progress where you can and indulge the stubborn moves with a little extra patience.

Another little caveat: I've only upgraded twice in my entire 8+ year shovelglove career (12 pounds to 16 pounds to 20 pounds). And I think the fact that I did it so infrequently was helpful (and not just financially). Every time you upgrade there is an element of risk -- of injury, or it just being upleasantly, discouragingly hard so you give up, etc. So upgrade sparingly. There's no rush. Save some of that thrill of progress for later years -- you'll find your pretty much permanent plateau soon enough (I don't think I'll ever go beyond my current 20 pounder).

Best of luck, whatever you decide -- and congratulations for sticking with it as long as you have.

Reinhard