Ranger Ranger

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
nonskanse

Ranger Ranger

Post by nonskanse » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:07 am

I live in Redmond, WA.

I hope to move somewhere either in downtown Seattle next year so i can really urban-ranger it up, or closer to work in Redmond (1.5 miles with no highway in between would be nice, then walking to/from work will cover me for the day, no problem!)

Out here in the west, there are paths/trails everywhere to hike though. I just don't know any of them!! Lately I've gone to Hurricane Ridge (olympic peninsula) which isn't great for trails but lots of views.
Also have been hiking at Mt. Ranier around Paradise in the snow (in JUNE!). I'm going to do the trails by Paradise on Mt. Ranier again this weekend I think.

Does anyone else try to do some ranger-rangering (non-urban) every now and again? Know any places out here in WA? If there's any really great shaded underutilized trails on the Mountain or something not too far away in the Cascades, I'll go on a Saturday.

**Please don't tell me to walk on the scary road outside my apartment complex. It's loud, horrible, and although this area is ped-friendly, scary to walk on with the cars whizzing by not 10 feet away at 45mph. I finally found a little trail between apartment buildings and plan on trying that a little more to see where I can get to with it.

Current routine:
Ellipticals at swanky gym 2x/week 30 min
10 knee (not girly!) pushups 3-4x/week
Random hike to some mountain out here 1x/2wk (up to 4 hours)

Suggestions? Trails?
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:05 pm

I wish I did more ranger rangering, but I'm pretty city bound these days..

But much better to do the thing we're all pretending to do than merely pretend.

Happy trail finding!

Reinhard

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:28 pm

Better to pretend than not do it at all. If I can't get out to the mountains I don't do much.

Ah well at least there's the gym.. bleh :)

nonskanse

OMG Urban Rangering too??!!

Post by nonskanse » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:54 pm

A friend is visiting my boy and I (as you may see in my nearly daily posts on No-S)

Anyway he is of course a tourist and I live in the Seattle area.... So last night after work (this is his vacation, not ours. We are cheaper than a hotel) We BUSED downtown and walked to the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ from the bus stop (about 10-15 minutes?). We had to go to the blankety blank yesterday because the weather says the next few days here will be cloudy and rainy. Yes, Mt. Rainier was visible!

Then we walked from the..unsightly landmark with a nice view... to the center of downtown (another 15-20 minutes?) to catch another bus back to my car which was left near work.

Completely unintentionan urban rangering.
And the traffic at night is pretty dead except on denny, pike, pine, and maybe 2nd-5th Aves.

Seattle is such a nice city!