Is there a recommended minimum?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
spiralstares

Is there a recommended minimum?

Post by spiralstares » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:15 pm

Hello.

I realize it may be against the spirit of Urban Ranger to view it strictly as a means to lose weight, but...well, that's what I'm doing. In that respect, is there a recommended minimum amount of time one should set aside to walk per day (or miles, or steps)?

You may say, "Just walk to and from work" or "Just walk to all your errands." But lets' say I work from home and I don't have any errands to do that day. Is there a recommended minimum number of minutes that I could walk that would earn my Urban Ranger badge for that day?

Thanks for any input you might have and sorry if this is already covered somewhere.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:04 am

Welcome, Spiralstares. Weekdays I walk a rough minimum of an hour (15-20 minutes to work, 30 minutes at lunch, 15-20 minutes back home). Weekends I don't make any systematic effort, but if the weather's nice, it's usually at least as much.

Does that seem like a lot? Start with half an hour a day. Start with 20 minutes, 15 minutes, anything. The hardest part is "something every day." Once you've established that, ramping up is easy. If you can't walk to work, "lunchwalk" for half an hour during your lunchbreak. Purposeful walking is best (both for pleasure and ease of compliance), but there's nothing like a daily quota to inspire purpose if you haven't got any. Maybe I should make some table of cub scout-esque urban ranger minute quota rankings. :wink:

Let us know what you wind up doing and how it goes.