I am SUCH a wimp...

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
NoelFigart

I am SUCH a wimp...

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:06 pm

Well, I got cleared for Urban Rangering, and would make a bonfire of my crutches, but they're aluminum, so I can't.

To celebrate, I asked my son if he would like to brave the biting cold and come play Strider with me. He rolled his eyes, said, "Mama! You're being silly again!"

But he came, and suggested we walk to his school.

Now pre-surgery, my son and I would trek all over town and not even think about it. However, his school is a mile from the house. I made it halfway to the school and realized if I went all the way, I'd run the risk of being too tired.

Too TIRED! AUGH!

Yes, it's to be expected after six weeks on crutches, I know, I know. In spite of the fact I've been a Very Good Girl about PT, there is really nothing that truly replaces full body weight on the leg and just... walking. And this comes from a woman who is a reasonably hard core swimmer!

And even though I'm tired after a single stinking mile, ya know what?

It feels so damn good to walk again.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:50 pm

You could probably smash them with a sledgehammer :-)

The great thing about being tired after a mile is the thought of how much rapid progress you are going to make.

Reinhard