where do people walk?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
ann99m

where do people walk?

Post by ann99m » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:03 pm

Hi,

I just found the everyday systems stuff last night and read most of it. it all makes a lot of sense.

i'm wondering though, do you guys who walk to do errands and stuff live in the city, suburbs, or countryside? i'd love to walk t do some errands but i feel like i wouldn't have enough time for most of them.

sandie

Post by sandie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:01 pm

I suffer from arthritis therefore walking can be difficult but I am starting now to drive my car nearly to where I'm going, parking as far away as possible and then walking the rest of the way to and back, sounds silly but I think it will work to help me build up to walking the whole village on my own like I used to.

Taking your car to a certain point and leaving it might be your answer to saving time.

I live in a small remote village btw.
Sandie

gratefuldeb67

Hi Ann, welcome!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:30 pm

Hello Ann
Welcome to the new and improved home of all the systems.
Hope you do great with them :)
I will answer your question from a purely theoretical standpoint, since I am still in full "car using mode" at the moment.
The key with the Everyday Sytems, is in the title...
The fundamental premise here, and with all the systems really, and if need be, Reinhard will certainly clarify further, if I misrepresent EDS, is that it's some activity which is done with predictability and consistancy, every day... Self help for the common problems we all suffer from (or at least those who aren't as lucky as superhumans!) ie: procrastination, slothfulness, gluttony, inefficient use of time, money and energy, etc... You get the picture. If it's optional, the idea is that we will find some "automoton generated excuse" to get out of the desired activity.
There is a reason for that saying "I am my own worst enemy" and I think EDS is the terrific remedy for combatting that tendency to do nothing, when you could be doing all...
Where you walk isn't that important, but it needs to be something that is "non optional" so I think, the general recommendation is that your destination should be something you go to on a regular basis, and if not already in your schedule (most obvious would be a walk to and from work) create a daily destination and do it no matter what...
Sadly, I am one of those people that has a horrible time of enforcing an external structure, yet paradoxically, do my best when I have that structure... So the last time I was truly Urban Rangering was when I took the insurance off my car, since I was a full time student in the city, and I walked to the train, and then to the school, and then back again, every weekday... It was at times, a nuisance, because out here in the suburbs of Long Island, it really is hard to get around without a car, but I can't deny that I was in wonderful health during that time period and a good 30 lbs less... It just started to fly back onto me when I stopped that walking regime, and over the course of about 5 or 6 months I was grossly overweight again...(NB: I hadn't yet found NoS and now the weight is much more under control and I am losing slowly but surely!) If you can pencil in a regular date with yourself to some local place, and again walking to work, if you are a nine to fiver, would be a great choice since you will save money on gas and really notice the health benefits, you will be happy you did it!
I am about to move to a new apartment, I just started at a new job, and as soon as I feel confident that all has settled down smoothly, I am going to make it my business to do a Urban Ranger lunch walk, or maybe I'll just walk to work halfway, because there's actually a parking lot about 3/4 of a mile from my job that I could park in, and then I'd have at least a mile and a half walk to look forward to every day... It's also one block from my sons after school daycare center, so once I pick him up, we could just pile into the car from there...
Thinking out loud guys, sorry! :P
With all these changes occurring all together, I can't honestly say I feel like adding anything to my plate right now, but I'm happy to say that NoS is still safely in place, and have full confidence and desire to get at least some Urban Rangering started by next month, and also SG...
Now that I'm working at a health club doing regular massages, I think SG will wind up being a 3 day a week thing, unless I don't have anyone to work on... Yesterday I did about 6 mini chair massages, for approximately 10 minutes each, and then a regular massage session, so my shoulders are getting slammed! LOL... Feels like a whirlwind of change for me all at once, but I am thrilled about it, and I know once I'm settled into my new much better living situation, and get through the initial "getting my feet wet" stage at the job, I will be able to add these wonderful "To Do's" from EDS, to my life... They are all great because they really can be sustainable, and they all are enjoyable..
Who could ask for more? Well I guess, I could ask.....
Reinhard, if there was an everyday system for finding the perfect soulmate, I would really be impressed even more than I am already!
I guess some stuff still has to be a mystery and can't be "scheduled in" LOL.... probably you could put "daily prayers" into a EDS filter eh?
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ann99m

Thanks!

Post by ann99m » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:50 pm

Thanks for all the input!

Right now i have to drive at least 20 minutes to where i work (i work at one of seven locations each day) so walking to work probably wouldnt work so well, especially since i have trouble getting there on time at 7am when driving! BUT, the idea of parking further away and walking is great. i think i am going to try doing that.

I'll be starting graduate school this fall on a fairly small campus so that shoudl be good since i will be walking everywhere on campus.

I'll let you know how the parking and walking thing works.

Thanks! Ann

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:26 pm

Hi Ann,

Deb's advice is right on. You have to make this a daily habit. I find that it's much easier to achieve this with walking when there is an actual purpose involved, but because our society is built around cars it can be difficult to do this. Parking at a distance could be perfect, given your situation. But I suspect it will be very tempting to cheat, with the time pressure and all. Once you're in the car it's just so easy to keep going... If it's going to work your really need to think about how much time you can realistically give yourself for this and then rigorously stick to it. My advice would be start out close and make the walk short but completely non-optional. Once you've done that for three weeks without fail, really building the habit, tack on a few minutes if you can afford to, and go from there. If you're too ambitious from the get go you may feel heroic for a bit, but it's going to fail. The hard part is building the habit, carving out the time. The walking itself is a breeze, a positive pleasure.

Another idea that Deb mentioned that's worth looking into is lunch walking: dedicating part or most of your daily lunch break to just walking around. This can be purposeful, depending on your location. I often run little errands on my lunch walks. But it can also just be aimless wandering around. I make sure I do at least half an hour of this every work day. Besides the exercise, it's a better break than anything else I've ever used that time for.

More here:

http://www.urbanranger.com/group/44.html

ann99m

Post by ann99m » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:38 am

reinhard wrote: Parking at a distance could be perfect, given your situation. But I suspect it will be very tempting to cheat, with the time pressure and all. Once you're in the car it's just so easy to keep going... If it's going to work your really need to think about how much time you can realistically give yourself for this and then rigorously stick to it. My advice would be start out close and make the walk short but completely non-optional. Once you've done that for three weeks without fail, really building the habit, tack on a few minutes if you can afford to, and go from there.

Another idea that Deb mentioned that's worth looking into is lunch walking: dedicating part or most of your daily lunch break to just walking around. This can be purposeful, depending on your location. I often run little errands on my lunch walks. But it can also just be aimless wandering around. I make sure I do at least half an hour of this every work day. Besides the exercise, it's a better break than anything else I've ever used that time for.
good points! thanks. i actually did have that happen today-was going to park a little bit further away but ended up running late (for a 10:00 start :oops: ) so had to park closer. i think i will concentrate on NoS for now and SG; i've also been getting myself back in the habit of working out too. i played sports all through high school and college and while in college even went through several month phases of going to the gym about everyday. never felt so good in my life! now in the real world it's a lot hard to make time, especially since i'd have to drive to a gym. so i got a few free weights and got a hold of a weight bench and am trying to work on doing some pilates and some lifting also. that's actually how i found SG, looking for some new exercises online. anyways, i've always been athletic and am not terribly overweight but i'm just not nearly as in shape as i used to be and i just cant deal with it. so i'm doing the SG and the NoS right now and will hopefully work in urban ranger. i really do love the format and the simpleness of them!

-Ann

navin

Walkin'

Post by navin » Tue May 03, 2005 2:17 am

I second (or third? Or fourth?) the vote to walk during lunch. I frequently walk to do errands - at my job there are several buildings, and if I need to go to another building I'll walk it. Also the bank is a few blocks away, I'll walk that, too. Those short (1 mile or less) walks are the easiest - it doesn't take much longer to walk it than drive.

I'd walk to work if the roads were more conducive to walking, but I do manage to bicycle it frequently. There are times when biking actually *saves* me time - during "rush" hour there is one stoplight in particular that backs up pretty bad, but being on bike, I can whiz past the stopped cars and never need to wait more than one cycle of the light. 8)

Maybe one of these days I'll get up early enough to walk to work and avoid being run over by teenagers going to school, but so far that's happened only once...

Julia

Here's an idea

Post by Julia » Sat May 07, 2005 10:08 am

Why not park further from home rather than from where you work. That way you won't be able to miss out the walk if you're running late as you will still have to get to your car. And in the evenings you maybe won't be under the same sort of time pressure and can enjoy the walk more.

I used to put myself under pressure by walking to a station further from work before getting on the train home, but I was forever in a panic for the last bit of a walk because I was going to miss the train and would have to wait 1/2-hr for the next one. Now I get off the train one stop further from home and most of the pressure is gone. Great! (I still tend to bumm out if it's raining though, groan. There's always an excuse).

Good luck.

Julia