Bad weather? Try "Arena Walking"

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Bad weather? Try "Arena Walking"

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:29 pm

Arena walking = walking in a special indoor temperature controlled "arena" designed for walking.

It doesn't look like there are a whole lot of these yet, and my personal preference is just to tough it out outside. But something to look out for if you're in a less temperate climate:

http://www.trftimes.com/index.php?optio ... 4&Itemid=2

Two thoughts:

1) They ought to make the arenas more attractive and interesting. Like giant greenhouses/indoor parks or something. The one described in the link above looks like a gym/hospital.

2) You don't need an official arena to do this. The mall at off hours would probably do just as well.

Reinhard

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:38 pm

1) They ought to make the arenas more attractive and interesting. Like giant greenhouses/indoor parks or something. The one described in the link above looks like a gym/hospital.
I think it would be neat if they had a cool enviornment to walk around in too... but of course, I suppose I could just head to a museum and walk around for similar effect (except those cost money), but I bet if they did introduce an arena with cool stuff to look at they would charge more than $2 a month anyway.
2) You don't need an official arena to do this. The mall at off hours would probably do just as well.
Yeah, I've considered the mall as well, since there is a big one right near my office... but I ultimately end up walking outside rain or shine (and soon probably in the snow) simply because I hate to think I might be becoming one of the dreaded "mall walkers" that you see wandering the empty halls of the mall on weekend mornings like a horde of the living dead. I remember when I was a kid and I would sometimes bike to the mall on weekend mornings... the mall walkers were like shambling zombies that quietly stalked the halls when no one else was around... was kinda scary. Perhaps if I do take up mall walking I will bring my shovelglove and do battle with the restless undead that plague the otherwise empty halls (please be ready with bail money, this could get ugly).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:44 pm

Wow, what a picture! But hey, better be a corpse shambling around a mall than festering in bed :-)

Frankly, even in the most inhospitable climates I think "nowhere to walk to" is a bigger problem than the temperature.

Remember the "segway," and how they were going "design cities around this invention?"

I wish they would just design cities around the foot (as they used to) or the bike... I'm surprised "planned communities" haven't jumped on this yet (or have they?).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:07 pm

Wow, what a picture! But hey, better be a corpse shambling around a mall than festering in bed
Eeeewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!
LOL... :lol: