time goals

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
oolala53

time goals

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:32 pm

Can anyone direct me to discussions that have to do with how one determines how much to walk? Do some people set goals? I live in San Diego, you know, car culture. I'm very willing to walk, but functional walking is a bit of a stretch. The corner market doesn't have the quality of food I want, work is 13 miles away, etc. There is a mountain a few miles away that I have "climbed" many times for a 360 degree view. As an alternative, do people aim for time?
TX for your input.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:48 pm

If you can't just build walking into your workaday routine, I'd aim for time instead of distance.

Here's the rationale:

1. as you get fitter, you'll be able to walk faster in the same amount of time. No matter how fit you get you're never going to have more time at your disposal. So focusing on time is better for budgeting long term commitment.

2. Time is easier to measure than distance. You don't need google maps or some GPS doodad. Just a watch (or a cellphone).

3. Time is precise but flexible. If you're not feeling so hot, you can walk at a more relaxed pace without altering your schedule or your "contract" with yourself.

4. Time makes you forget that this is "exercise." It's also your time to think, to meditate, to relax, to listen to an audiobook, whatever. Besides being effective incentives to exert yourself, these activities are great goods in themselves -- maybe even more valuable than the exercise.

I'd start with an absurdly small required amount of time. If you can do that every N-day for a month, then allow yourself to ratchet it up a bit. But never ratchet it up very far: a consistent minimum of compliance should be the goal. It's amazing how much difference a small but regular effort can make over time -- and how easy it becomes once you've established the habit.

Reinhard