Finally walking again

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
jessdr

Finally walking again

Post by jessdr » Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 pm

I was doing some consistent urban rangering last summer, but I hurt my hip in September (which I exacerbated by ignoring it and continuing my 5 mile a day habit). I re-injured it THREE TIMES, but I'm finally back up to speed.

I just started easing myself back into the habit at the end of last month with some shorter walks. This week, though, I've been walking to and from work (5 miles round-trip) every other day. On the off days, I do my exercise routine in the morning (I'd walk in afterward, but I never get up early enough), and walk home about half the time (usually depending on whether I remembered to bring my sneakers to work).

I feel so much better. I'm more awake and alert when I get to work, and usually in a better mood, since I had a nice walk with my audiobook instead of fighting for a seat on the T. And by the time I get home, I'm over anything that was bothering me at work. Plus, I can get up half an hour later on walking days than exercising days, so it feels like I'm being lazy. :)

I finally feel like myself again!

The trick now is not to overdo it.
Diet refugee, trying to get my head back on straight.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Glad to hear you're back with it!

Great walking in Somerville/Cambridge, isn't it?

Audiobooks are a great incentive to walk. Once you start to associate the two activities, you'll be looking for excuses to walk somewhere.

Reinhard

jessdr

Post by jessdr » Wed May 13, 2009 9:36 pm

reinhard wrote:Glad to hear you're back with it!

Great walking in Somerville/Cambridge, isn't it?

Audiobooks are a great incentive to walk. Once you start to associate the two activities, you'll be looking for excuses to walk somewhere.

Reinhard
Camberville is a very nice place to walk. Assuming you know how to get where you're going. I have some funny (in hindsight) stories about getting lost and wandering around the Inman and Union Square areas (respectively) for literally hours.

As for associating listening & walking: it's too late; I already associate listening with walking, cooking, cleaning, and going to sleep! I'm an audiobook junkie. At one point, I had two concurrent Audible subscriptions because they didn't have a high enough plan for me. :)
[/list]
Diet refugee, trying to get my head back on straight.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 am

Sounds good Jess. Good luck with getting back into the routine!

I also do a lot of listening while walking (mainly podcasts! This last week I've actually been listening to Reinhard's podcasts :) ). I take my boy out for long walks & the listening makes it much more enjoyable... (although I have to say I find walking enjoyable anyway).

Burnergirl

back at it...

Post by Burnergirl » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:33 pm

I'll be back on the road hoofing it. Starting today... no time like the present. I've been lazy for a few weeks now, and it's definately taking a toll. My dog will be my guide and we'll do a good trek this afternoon. She'll be happy, I'll be happy. Next two weekends I'm out of town with walkers, and will be doing that both weekends.... it always feels so good.
THanks for the reminder!
Take each day one at a time... Life is to be enjoyed.