walking with tuneage

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
JWL

walking with tuneage

Post by JWL » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:33 am

Hi all,

Well, Santa brought me a Neuros Audio Computer, an iPod-like device that I'm gleefully filling with my music collection. The point of this, or at least one of them, is to reassert my Urban Rangering.

I don't have any specific goals at the moment, after all it's winter in Maine, but I would like to start walking more often.

Let's see how things go!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:29 am

Great plan James!!!
Good to have you back....

Enjoy your tunage dude!
Perhaps some winter long johns would help you beat the Maine Winter cold! LOL..

Best to you and your little fam for 2006!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps... I read your other posts.. Good plan not to immediately get on a scale.. You will lose the weight you gained in the same amount of time that you gained it in, or even less! Don't worry :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:38 pm

Try audiobooks, too. I can walk forever once I get into something.

vorpal

Post by vorpal » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:12 pm

I'm a big fan of audiobooks and audio lectures in general.

If you're looking for interesting free stuff to load up your mp3 player with, try this metafilter thread:

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/31426

Tons of good stuff in there. Who needs a campus? :D
"Man will not fly for 50 years." -- Wilbur Wright 1901

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:20 pm

Thanks for the link, Vorpal.

Some of this I knew about, but a lot I didn't. What a great time to be an auto/audio-didact.

My only (very spoiled) gripe is that I wish everything was available as audio files (some of the most appealing stuff is video). I have a decent amount of time I can share with merely physical tasks to listen to stuff (walking, chores, etc.) but very little I can devote 100% to watching.

Reinhard

10ch

Post by 10ch » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:28 pm

I was searching around my office this moning for my right eye, which had popped out after seeing a $39.95 price tag for Huckleberry Finn on iTunes, when the thought occured to me that the fine folks here might have some audio insights and whaddya know... they do.

This is wonderful -- thanks for the link. Any other great (cheap/free) finds to report?

Now back to finding that eyeball...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:54 pm

This is a great idea, in fact I had it myself (really! and I have microcassette recorded proof!), but didn't act on it:

http://librivox.org/

Librivox is a site that provides free, public domain audiobooks, read by volunteers. I'm thinking of volunteering myself, since I've been recording stuff for myself for a while now (not to librivox specs, alas). It's pretty new, so the selection is limited, but they do have some Twain already, and I have a feeling this is going to take off big. Quality is variable, as is to be expected, but it's such a generous, righteous project that you'd have to be a real bastard to quibble with this (and some of it is quite good). I find the splitting of books up among readers to be jarring, but this shotgun approach is probably by far the most efficient for getting that critical something up fast.

Reinhard

10ch

Post by 10ch » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:31 pm

Reinhard - awesome idea.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:36 pm

Wow that sounds like a great idea!
I would listen to your audio book Reinhard!
You could even do an audio version of NOS!!!!
Yay!!!
I might even want to do this!
Hee hee hee....
I'll have to look at that link...
What do you need? A microphone?
I have one! LOL...

Have a great day Reinhard :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Jaymiz

Post by Jaymiz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:27 pm

reinhard wrote:My only (very spoiled) gripe is that I wish everything was available as audio files (some of the most appealing stuff is video). I have a decent amount of time I can share with merely physical tasks to listen to stuff (walking, chores, etc.) but very little I can devote 100% to watching.
I don't know if you've heard of this site, but http://vixy.net/ is a free online "converter" that takes videos (like YouTube) and converts them to MP3 files (and other similar files). I'm not sure if this particular converter works ONLY with YouTube videos, or if it works with what you're looking to convert. But, stuff like this IS available, and that's the point of my responding to your post. ;)

Good luck!
http://jaymiz.wordpress.com (The 'No S' Life)
"The more you do a thing, the easier it becomes" ~ Anon.