My Son, the Urban Ranger

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
NoelFigart

My Son, the Urban Ranger

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:42 am

We live a few blocks from the center of town. It has the general small New England town type things: a few pub-like restaurants, a library, a bank, a theater (okay, an opera house that the town is very smug about). Just your usual stuff.

Well, the kids and I were going to go to one of the restaurants for dinner tonight and my son mentioned it to a friend. My son's friend (who is a few years older than my son), said something about getting his mother to drive him there.

My son looked at his friend in total astonishment and said, "Who'd drive somewhere you can walk in less than fifteen minutes?" (We did walk. In the rain, I might add).

This friend, by the way, is horrified my son walks a mile to school (and back, of course) every day. His mother drives him. Now the boy is not overweight or anything. In fact, is quite skinny. But my son has it in his head that if it's a mile or less somewhere, you walk.

I guess I was setting a better example than I thought for him.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:54 am

What an inspiration! Thanks for posting and greetings to your son. Please tell him that he has given a 50 year old Danish woman food for thought.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.