Trying the Urban Ranger thing

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
redwinger

Trying the Urban Ranger thing

Post by redwinger » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:18 pm

I'm actually a country ranger since I live out in the country. I am about 20 miles from work, so that's out. I'm 5 miles from town and there are no sidewalks so that's out. My ony option is my neigborhood and a country road where there is little traffic. I am also going to try to park further away from the building where I work and take the stairs more. I'm ready to get moving again and hate the thought of getting back on a treadmill or doing videos. I've always enjoyed aerobics but really want something easier right now. I'll check in on a regular basis.

Loving the NoSing!

redwinger

Post by redwinger » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:53 am

succeeded in parking double the distance to my job and walked with the dog for about 25-30minutes. Was going to do more but then it started to sleet!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:59 am

Bet your dog will think all his christmasses have come at once, if you walk him a load more than you used to! One definate positive side-effect, I reckon. I did experiment with teaching my cat to walk on a lead, but although she tolerates and indulges me, she's not all that keen on going in the direction *I* want her to go. :lol:

C.
CaroleJo

redwinger

Post by redwinger » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:40 am

I can relate. My cat didn't go for the walk either and actually got scared. My dog loves the walks and is getting much better at walking by my side and not pulling me.I've been watching a lot of "the dog whisperer".
It was too cold and rainy to go walking today. Hopefully the weather will get better soon. I am still parking double the distance to the job place, so at least that's something.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:02 pm

"Distance parking" is a venerable urban ranger tactic -- glad to hear you're adopting it.

In case you start to run low in inspiration, here's a link to a previous discussion on the topic:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=548

And another:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=29

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Oops... those were the same!
LOL...
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:55 pm

Thanks for catching this, Deb. Fixed it.

redwinger

Post by redwinger » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:17 pm

It's felt good to be able to stick to the distance parking. I was able to go walking 4 days this week. Only 20 minutes today and then it started to poor cold rain.

Bonus: My dog is learning to walk so much better on a leash(the whole dog whisperer thing) and has become much calmer because of the long walks.
Thanks for the links!