Urban Ranger benefits me in so many ways

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
Murphysraven

Urban Ranger benefits me in so many ways

Post by Murphysraven » Tue May 02, 2006 9:19 pm

With gas prices on the rise to $3 a gallon and more in some areas where I live, I've decided not only to walk during my lunches, but to walk to and from work as well. This will take some willpower since I am notorious for sleeping in till the very last second and running out the door. I am fortunate to live very close to work, and that walking to work is all downhill.

Since the weather is finally starting to get nice around here (I live near Seattle, WA) I think I'll be able to manage this without too many problems.

My only hesitation is the fact I don't want to walk UP the hill on the way home (it a very steep hill) and to go around would increase my walk time, not to mention dinner time, by about 30 minutes or so. I guess I could always hop a bus on the way home on those days where I just don't want to bother with the walk back, or maybe even carpool with a coworker.

My motivation is threefold. I'm exercising, I'm saving money by not paying out the nose for gasoline, and I'm helping the environment by lowering pollution and consumtion of said high priced gasoline. Urban Ranger for the WIN! :lol:
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:56 pm

Oh man Murphys raven!
I remember those Seattle area hills!!!
Thats pretty much on par with San Fransisco....

Can you give yourself enough time to do the hill really carefully and slowly?
Whatever you do, just make sure you enjoy yourself and do what is realistic and maintainable for your life!

Walking up hills is an amazing upper!!! Maybe try that one time before you mentally cancel that option out...
You will develop some serious muscle in your legs which will help you burn calories all day long...

Have fun!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 05, 2006 1:41 pm

Murphysraven,

I'm glad to hear UR is working so well for you. Walking to and from work is the best possible way to do it -- because it's the most useful, and that matters.

As for the hill, try to recast it from a painful obstacle to a goal worth triumphing over. I wish I had some more hills around here (I just have 8 flights of stairs). Maybe check off "did I do the hill today?" on a calendar for a week or a month to kick off the habit. You will be amazed how much easier it gets when you get in practice. Unless I'm bolting 2 steps at a time, I'm now breathing pretty normally when I reach the top of the stairs now, and it's only been a few weeks.

Reinhard