Podcast #82: Clock & Calendar, your Sword & Shield

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Podcast #82: Clock & Calendar, your Sword & Shield

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:26 pm

Enjoy! (sorry, not what I said I would podcast about -- No S re-assessment will come next month)

Episode 82: The Clock & the Calendar, your Sword & Shield
Posted by Reinhard on 2024-01-31
Build habits by leaning on the clock and calendar rather than fighting against them. Beyond N and S days. Cutesy task phrases. Powerfully silly times. Calendar-First Tasking.

https://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode/82/

Amy3010

Re: Podcast #82: Clock & Calendar, your Sword & Shield

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:32 am

How few and precious they are, indeed. Good to be reminded of this from time to time.

I totally agree with you on the snooze button!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 pm

Glad it resonated with you, Amy!

NoSDoc

Post by NoSDoc » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:18 pm

Dear Reinhard!

Thanks you very much for this podcast on the meta systems. I really enjoyed listening to it.

Going WITH the "natural flow" of the calendar makes the system so "sane" and easy to follow. And the use of a timer is so simple yet such a great help: since I use the timer for my study habit and my fitness routine it is much more consistent and therefore I have better, long term results.

I was wondering: do you have a name for your "getting up early"-System. A name that covers the whole habit?

I was also experimenting with weekly habits on special days. I guess this will take me more time and effort to really assimilate that: I work several different shifts in hospital and so does my wife. So rarely does one Thursday look like the other. It is hard to stick a habit to a certain weekday when there is no regularity - at least for me.

Again, thank you, Reinhard!

Looking forewarn to the next episode, all the best

Stefan

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:26 pm

I'm glad you liked this episode, Stefan! Your question about the "angel numbers" a little while ago was the inspiration for it.

I don't have a name specifically for the getting up early part... it's not quite Timebox Lord, or Schedulualisticly Insignificant Time... it's a special case of "Powerfully Silly Numbers" (at least in part). 'Sleep Deprivation on my own Terms," maybe? But that's only part of it... I'll keep mulling (let me know if you have any inspirations!

In terms of your Thursdays (etc.) all being different, do they fall into categories?

You could come up with "Thursday Type B" routines, etc.

Will be more complex, and harder to balance necessary chorese of some of these types don't appear as often. as others, but maybe worth thinking about...

Reinhard

NoSDoc

Post by NoSDoc » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:12 pm

Dear Reinhard!

Thanks for your reply. I'll keep that Thursday 1) and 2) idea in mind and observe. Might be a good idea.

I got a name for "getting up early" I tend to come back to: "Up before the enemy". This term is from Jocko Willink, a former Navy SEAL who has written a few really good books and always posts pictures of his alarm clock wake up time on his social media. It looks like it is one of his "Trademarks". I find it a bit dramatic for a civilian like me. On the other hand the "enemy" being either my child wanting to play with me or my work time etc - it is also a bit ironic putting a smile on my face - so I somehow like it... And the "comic pragmatism" principle is somehow met... ;-) What do you think?

By the way: your podcast really inspired me. Before I had ONE time to get up: 04:40am. This works for me when I have to start work at 07:30am. On all other days I started thinking and thinking what time to get up. Reminds me of thinking and thinking whether a bit of this food now and then might be harmful or not(before No S). I started adopting a more moderate N-Day alam at 05:43am if my work starts later and a 06:54 for S-Days. Works very well so far (only 3 weeks in, but anyway).

I am alway happy that my questions are at least a kind of inspiration for you and not only "extra work"... :lol:

Reinhard, all the best, looking forward to your next podcast!

Yours

Stefan

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:53 pm

Hi Stefan,

Questions like yours are why I do this "work" at all!

I'm so glad the powerfully silly start times look like they might work for you too.

"Up before the enemy" certainly is striking! And I like the way you've spun it around to find the humor in it.

I have two month period coming up when I'll have to leave the house an hour earlier than usual (for a long, rush hour drive) that is going to require some temporary rejiggering in terms of my morning schedule, but whatever I wind up doing, "angel numbers" etc. will definitely stay involved.

Reinhard