Butterfly's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 am

Thursday
The support on this site is awesome!

No sweets today! :mrgreen: Had a couple of snack, but not very high in calories and it was because I was feeling hungry.

Tomorrow, Friday, I will count as an S day because I have something special. I'll try not to have sweets on Saturday or Sunday because of the Friday S day.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi Butterfly,
My first time here and I just finished reading through all your posts and all the wonderful advise you have received from the really great people here at No S. I would like to comment that having read through your journey, I get the feeling you think you "should" be on this journey but I am not sure you "want" to be on it. It reminds me of when I was a teenager and my mom or teacher or someone told me the best way to do something. I knew in my heart they were right but the rebel in me was determined to not do it even if that was ultimately self destructive. This is about my 60th diet and my third attempt at No S (which by the way is the only alternative I have found that allows real freedom of choice to us control freaks). I am finally realizing that I have to want this, not just need it for it (or any diet for that matter) to succeed. It has to be a personal decision to succeed regardless of failures, do overs or the amount of time it will take. I know what you are going through. I can hear it in your posts. You want to eat healthy, not snack, give up sugar, not have seconds, lose weight, exercise and do it all in a couple of months. Zip, zip. I think a lot of us are discovering that breaking the habits of a lifetime is not that simple or we would have done it a long time ago. My suggestion to you would be to take the weekend to not diet but to spend some time asking yourself if you want to create a new eating style or if you just think you should. If you decide you want to create a new eating style, pick just one thing you are determined to change no matter how many times you fail and then don't worry about the rest until you are ready. Forget the scale for a while too. While you are learning, it could just be discouraging. I had a great week last week and I gained a pound. It happens. Relax, breathe, ask if you really want this, and then slowly touch the accelerator. Love yourself. You are worth this journey.

I always think I will post just a few words and then I write a book. Hope something we have all said helps you on your journey.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm

I second everything Sue said! ...and she could have been writing about me instead of herself!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim