Jen's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JenD

Jen's Check-in

Post by JenD » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:33 pm

I started doing No-S on Weds. April 25. I really needed a successful day because I've started before only to give up. I had a great day. I found I can do this! Of course it was just the first day and I know many times the euphoria and adrenaline of the first day carries me through so on Thurs. I was ready. Thursdays are work days for me and before I never knew what to do about it because I am at work for 5 hours and then home. I decided to throw caution to the wind and eat a good breakfast, go to work and then eat after my shift! I did get myself a diet soda about an hour before going home and that seemed to perk me up because I was getting hungry but nothing else. Not the brownies someone brought, not any of the many snack foods available. And I did great! Coming home, I ate a nice lunch, not a monster-sized one and was fine until dinner. Friday was the almost miraculous day because I woke up and was going to wait to eat until 7:30. Got messed up with the schedule and ended up back home late and realized I couldn't eat because I was going to mass and needed to fast one hour before. So I waited until 9 in the morning and didn't die! Today I am having a few treats but it's funny, they don't taste as great as I thought they would and I like my no-snacking system very much too. I love the peace I feel.
The love of a dog is a blessed thing...

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 am

Yes the sanity of No S :)
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

JenD

The weekend!

Post by JenD » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:26 am

Well the week end was an odd wake-up call! I decided to treat the weekend as the sometimes that I'd read about but went a little overboard on Sat! And it felt uncomfortable, like I was cheating on myself or breaking too many rules so Sunday I decided to go back to No-S and made it all the way til the end of the day when I realized I didn't have any of the "treats" I'd wanted to have either day! So I did a little compensatory snacking/treat eating. Felt not so good. Back to No-S and I am hoping more relief...

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 pm

I started No-S on the same day as you, and just got through my first weekend--and I feel exactly the way you do, that even having just a few sweets felt not so good.

Thank God it's N-day again!
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

JenD

Day-by-day...

Post by JenD » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Oh wow, it's great to have someone on the same path at the same time! I went to walk my dog and was very hungry and I have been surprising myself how great a companion my hunger is. I came home and quickly made breakfast, 2 eggs, 2 pieces of whole grain toast and some plum jelly and butter. I have a long space of time at work and not a good time to have lunch during the 5 hour shift. So I am going to just tough it out and wait until I get back home. I did it Thurs. and didn't die! I know it sounds funny but I was petrified to go without food and now, it just seems to silly. I wonder how many others feel like this. One person wrote above about no-snacking sanity and I really feel like that is true!
JenD

JenD

Both Jennifers???

Post by JenD » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Okay, this is getting spooky! I didn't notice your name. Today, the first day back at it in earnest was or still is being great. Instead of it being challenging, it's actually a great routine. Eating between meals certainly took a lot out of me, it seems. I've found myself almost as if I have been "waking up" and looking around. And for the first time in a long long while, I have some hope of actually getting back into some clothes that I love and that aren't that impossible to dream of wearing again. That's something...
JenD

JenD

Post by JenD » Fri May 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Not really sure how to use this forum. Feels odd writing on my check-in site but okay, here goes. I started on April 25. Haven't slipped up yet. But funny thing, yesterday I began really wishing I could have something sweet. I just told myself, in a day and a half, you can. I wait on average 5-6 hours between meals during the daytime. Sometimes a little less. I know now I can go for that long and not die. Also a funny thing, eating hasn't been much of a thrill lately. It seems almost a burden to try to figure out what to eat, how much so that I am not starving in a couple of hours. I can stand hunger for a couple of hours but not 3 or 4. Did anyone else ever have this odd odd problem. I figure after the newness of the whole thing wore off, I got down to the hard truth that I have to have something to eat and I get tired of all that! I guess snacking obscured this mundane side of things...
JenD

JenD

Post by JenD » Sat May 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Today has been sweet! Really! Treats I have indulged in but not non-stop...Feeling like I have lost a lot of weight! But I don't think it could be that much...But it sure feels like a lot...How could that be? Only been doing this for 11 days!
Jen D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:16 am

You're doing really well! :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun May 06, 2012 11:08 am

"Not really sure how to use this forum..."

It is whatever suits you. Some people primarily use it as a food and/or exercise journal. Others use it as an opportunity to chat with others going through the same challenges. Some people read for ideas and inspiration but rarely post.

Welcome!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

JenD

Post by JenD » Sun May 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Thank you for replying! I wasn't sure how to use it in order to have people actually respond to me! I guess it just ebbs and flows. I have tons of questions about how this all works now that I am on my 12th day. I wonder how much of the stuff we don't do on the weekdays do people do on the weekends? I sort of feel like I could and sometimes do easily overdo the sweets. I always pull back but I am not sure if it should be more planned so I don't feel like I used to feel. Also, is it common to feel sort of blah about food after a while? I feel like I am shoveling the food in so that I don't get hungry and all the sudden, nothing seems really appealing anymore!
Jend

JenD

Post by JenD » Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Sorry to be chatty Cathy but I kind of had a great moment today at lunch. I had this wonderful dinner my hubby prepared and I wanted a little more (2nds are okay on the weekend, right?) so I got up and got just a little more, not even a 4th of a plate full. And I ate and I stopped. I wasn't worried about the first plate being crammed high (as I have been) and I didn't really want but a few bites more the 2nd time. Just stopped, no obsessing, no fretting. Like a normal person...

JenD

Post by JenD » Tue May 08, 2012 1:05 pm

May 8, the 14th day of my 21 day start up. I can honestly say I think I have grown accustomed to the process. I am not saying I am home free but I am not currently obsessing. In fact, it's almost a bother to get enough food in at a meal to not feel famished before the next meal. I have accepted the feeling of being famished, learned to live with it for a time knowing that it will be like a fire I put out (for a time...). Just the realization that I won't die, I will have some interesting (but not all-consuming) sweets in a few days, seems to be enough for now.
Jennifer

JenD

Day 20?????

Post by JenD » Tue May 15, 2012 12:01 am

How can this be possible that I am at day 20 (I think, I stopped count a while ago...)
It's a habit. In fact, eating, planning how to eat enough so I don't starve has become a real pain. Have any of you experienced that? Sometimes I just give up trying to make sure I've eaten enough. It's painful later but I am just out of ideas sometimes. I cook for everyone but when it's just me, I could eat oatmeal. And I know that's not going to do the job. I haven't cheated, except, I do have a coffee in the morning (with a little bit of sugar or sweetner and mild) and I have a tea in the afternoon fixed the same way. I am beginning to think that's not in the spirit of NoS but I am not sure. But I don't eat food between meals...
Jen
Someone give me feedback!