Question about your S days...

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicole in MD

Question about your S days...

Post by Nicole in MD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Just wondering how much you guys splurge on your S days? Do you truly eat whatever you want for 3 meals, 3 times in a weekend or do you tend to splurge more on just one or two meals in a weekend?

I don't think I will do seconds--even on my S days since I don't do seconds now--never really have. And I probably won't snack either unless you count getting an appetizer with dinner as a snack. Other than that, I'm wondering just how crazy I can get on the weekends and still maintain my weight :)
Nicole in beautiful Annapolis, MD
Started No S 8/15- 173

Rachelocity

Post by Rachelocity » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:29 pm

I have only had one S weekend so far, and it wasn't a free-for-all like I'd feared. What I did on my S days was vary the type of food I ate. Instead of grilled chicken, I had fried chicken. I actually drank lemonade sweetened with sugar instead of a Diet Coke (this is not unlike the Lubavitcher Rebbe admitting to having a bacon-cheeseburger!) I enjoyed everything I ate, and surprisingly, after going out for dinner twice, realized at Dairy Queen that I just simply wasn't in the mood for anything. Yes, we went to DQ twice. I might not have been so resolute had it been Ben & Jerry's. :oops: :oops:

Best part: Monday was back to normal eating. No deprivation, and no urge to walk by the DQ.

This weekend, we're going out for my brother's b-day and I'm looking forward to a good steak with fries. I am also planning to go to the market, and I'm equally looking forward to all that awesome local produce.
Everything in moderation, including moderation: Julia Child

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am

2 meals. I get up quite late and usually have brunch with friends so I feel stuffed for ages. I often have some sweet in between brunch and dinner though. So maybe that makes it 3 meals.

It's only my third S weekend coming up. The first one was wild. It was 1 big meal throughout the day, really. I felt sick until Monday evening. But the second weekend was much better. I just had two meals and a snack and I ate whatever I wanted. Once I shifted my mindset from "I have to eat all the food that I can't eat on N days" to a focus on Enjoyment I automatically ate less.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

megran

Post by megran » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I tried "overindulging" at a birthday barbecue we had (for me!) last Sunday (a week ago). I had "a few" chips and salsa and "a couple" bites of veggies with ranch dip and what-not ... and then had a cupcake, and then a cookie ... I was so poisoned/sick I was ill the entire next day and didn't experience the feeling of "hunger" until TUESDAY AT LUNCH. It was unbelievable. I just felt so gross. (ETA: I also had a plate of food, sausages, sauerkraut and German potato salad ... it was a SMALL plate, too ... but that + the appetizers + the desserts ... ugh)

Same thing happened Saturday ... we went to the fair, I had some french fries, and a bite of my husband's corn dog and some bits of his funnel cake (all spread out -- not eaten at one sitting like I am used to now) ... and I did not feel truly hungry until today at lunch. I ate lunch and dinner yesterday (I'm nursing a 4 month old) and still lost weight this morning, but that gross "oh my stomach is sooo full" feeling just didn't go away until today.

I find that I try to be purposeful about my s days ... I think about "What do I really want to enjoy?" and usually? The answer is "nothing". I don't like that feeling of being sick from food. But I like having the freedom of knowing if the family gets frozen yogurt, I'm not going to be the sourpuss sitting there going "Awww I can't have any" ... and I'll get some.

This way of eating has totally changed my life. So, I guess I would say S days for me aren't much different from regular days. I just feel better that way. :)
Every day you do one of two things: build health or produce disease in yourself. -Adele Davis

no s started June 27, 180 lbs
Goal (155) reached 8/7/12
Surpassed goal and am 145 as of June 24, 2013