JustAnotherJane

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JustAnotherJane

JustAnotherJane

Post by JustAnotherJane » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Jan 2012: - - - - - - - - - S F S S - - S O - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I decided to give No S a start on January 8th since that was my initial weigh-in for my job's "Biggest Winner" competition. I've never been much of a dieter but after having my second baby my (added) weight never really went away. So I went hunting around on the internet for a diet plan that didn't immediately scream bogus to me. No S struck me as something that might actually work and be sustainable. So here I am, ready to give it my best shot and to prove it I even threw out those yummy chocolate chip cookies in the pantry :)

My fail on the 9th was eating the rest of the chips on my plate long after lunch had ended.

I took the 14th as a success even though I didn't eat a thing all day (silly norovirus)

I'm taking today as an orange. I'm grazing on toast and crackers as I get over this stomach bug.

So far things seem pretty easy. I'm sure that will change once the novelty wears off.
Give me a place to stand, and I will move the earth. ~ Archimedes of Syracus (287-212 B. C. E)

HoeHanna

Hmmmm....

Post by HoeHanna » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:24 am

I do not wish the flu on anyone but if it's helping you kickstart this thing, then use it. I hope you are hanging in there and taking it seriously. I've jsut started and DO NOT ant the novelty to wear off, EVER! I feel so good after a week of green days. Glad for the S-days though. Now I have 2 days to gear up for next week. Long way to go for me.
Start Date 01/14/13
Beginning Weight 230
Height 5' 6"
Age 59
Let's hope there's hope for the hopeless.

JustAnotherJane

Post by JustAnotherJane » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Jan 2012: - - - - - - - - - S F S S - - S O S S F - - - S S - - - - - - - - - -

Hi HoeHanna that flu that's going around is no joke. But it did help a bit sticking with No S, since for a few days afterwards I had no real appetite to speak of and even coffee was unappealing.

My fail was on a Friday (which tend to be difficult days anyways). I did so well until I stopped by my parents to pick up my kids and they invited me over for dinner. I managed to keep to the no seconds rule but when my mom brought out the blueberry cobbler ... At least I only ate one small piece :)

I also decided to take Monday as an S day since I had it off of work (observance of Martin Luther King day). I overdid it a bit.

I had a close call yesterday when my hand magically found it's way inside a bag of chips. I caught myself, released the chips, closed the bag, and walked slowly out of my kitchen. Note to self, just before bed time, avoid the kitchen.
Give me a place to stand, and I will move the earth. ~ Archimedes of Syracus (287-212 B. C. E)

HoeHanna

tough fridays

Post by HoeHanna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Fridays are tough for me as well. And there's no way on earth I could ahve stopped at one serving of blueberry cobbler, my fave. Failed misserably yesterday, was on the high end of a bi-polar day and became a bottomless eating machine, Maybe not as bad as before I started this but bad none-the-less. Back in control today. Feel good about my eating plans for the day. Looking forward to making good/healthy meals and will be busy tonight so should stay green. Magic chips are dangerous, I know.
Start Date 01/14/13
Beginning Weight 230
Height 5' 6"
Age 59
Let's hope there's hope for the hopeless.

JustAnotherJane

Post by JustAnotherJane » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Jan 2012: - - - - - - - - - S F S S - - S O S S F - - - S S S S - - S S F - - -

Quick update since I had a fail :(
I ate a doughnut but I am determined to keep the rest of the day in check.

Overall happy with my progress and I'm down 4lbs since the start of Jan.

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:51 am

Four pounds is most EXCELLENT!! Good job, JAJ!!
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 am

Hello Jane,

And welcome. The norovirus is tough, my wife got it. Poor thing. I got the influenza, short and quick, four days, I wish I could say I quit eating.

But, I have been successful for a week and a half now. I am already dropping pounds, and the "habit" is kicking in again.

This works, and it works well.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79