Maintaining the Moderate Way

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LoriLifts

Maintaining the Moderate Way

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:49 pm

Hello my No S friends!

Although I have started several blogs in the past, this one is a bit different.

Last month I reached my weight goal. The weight where I am comfortable in my skin and that all my pants fit. Even the ones in the back of the closet. Where the weight on my driver's license is accurate.

This month I have entered into uncharted territory....maintaining my weight. I've been chasing weight loss for so long, how the heck do I maintain?

Three simple rules and one exception...No S, of course.

Vanilla S is my plan to avoid gaining the weight back. The purpose of this blog will be to stay focused and not begin the slippery slope back to gaining weight.

Let's see what happens....
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:06 am

Congrats! I'm really looking forward to getting to the maintenance stage and think it should be really doable with the structure of NoS.

Best of luck!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Marye

Post by Marye » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:45 am

Well done and good luck!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:24 am

Hi Lori! I reckon this is for life, right? I love HabitCal at the moment - and I do weigh daily to keep an eye on things. I prefer this system to counting calories and tracking what I eat!

Well done on reaching your current weight.
:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Thanks for the supportive comments everybody!

It still feels odd to not have a weight loss goal. I started No S in 2008. Since then I've been using the rules as a tool to help me get to my goal. I attached different ways of eating to the 3 rules. Sometimes I strayed from No S but always found my way back.

No matter what type of diet I was using, my big plan was to exclusively use No S for maintenance. Going forward, I want to live in the Moderation zone. That's a good title for a blog "The Moderation Zone". I digress.....

Speaking of moderation, I'm attempting to do so in all aspects of my life. In my other blogs I wrote about the marathons and ultras I was completing. In one old blog I wrote about completing a 50 miler!

Last year I mostly completing half marathons. Recently I'm doing 10K distances. The longer races aren't appealing to me anymore. Maybe in a few years I'll change my mind. Right now I'm happy doing the more "moderate" shorter distances.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:05 am

To hold my feet to the fire, I entered the September No S Challenge.
Day 1 is a success!

I'm a visual gal. Despite my HabitCal, I am creating a "success chain".

Here is the first link..

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:10 pm

Day 2 is a success.
I'm working out of town. Staying in hotels with a generous per diem often triggers a red day.
Not this time!

00 one more link on my success chain

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Drat! My success chain was broken by 5 seconds of mindless eating!

I popped a piece of cheese in my mouth without thinking. I must have thought it was 2007, before I learned about No S.

Oh well, today is an S day, back at it on Monday....

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Holy Mackerel, it's been a month since I've posted!

Here's the abbreviated version of my happenings..

Vanilla S....not so much. The good news is that I'm maintaining my weight. I seem to be able to stick to a "one dessert a day, if it fits on my plate" plan during N days.

I'm going to try this approach for October.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:44 pm

If your'e maintain without have to be crazy about it, mazel tov. It sounds like it's just a mod. Still probably No S, even if it isn't vanilla. Kudos on maintaining.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)