You Got This - Daily Checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Yougothis

You Got This - Daily Checkin

Post by Yougothis » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi

I started sometime last week, but for the ease of remembering when I started I'm going to say 1 April.

My main reason for starting this is to try to get a handle on binge / over-eating. I don’t have a stop button, and it’s so easy for me to finish a meal, then want ‘something sweet’, or a ‘second serve’ and it spirals out of control from there. I am an emotional, boredom, anxious – name the feeling and I can turn to food. I also think it’s just a habit thing, and a love of food thing as well.

So the No S diet seems to fit perfectly for me and I feel like it’s a lightbulb find.

S weekend was glutenous, so by Monday I was looking forward to the N days.

This week so far:

Monday - Success
Tuesday - Success
Wednesday - Success
Thursday - Success

I’m finding the afternoons a stretch to get through, even though I’m not hungry. I am so used to snacking (often used to be an ongoing afternoon of snacking). I’ve been consuming way too much diet coke to get me through the afternoon, so need to work on that. Also have to stop myself automatically picking as I’m making lunches, dinners etc and not allowing myself to eat anything until it’s all plated up.

I've also usually had a little snack after dinner, like a piece of chocolate, or a small sweet treat, so I've cut that out too. Coping ok with that.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Welcome, sounds like you're doing great!

One of the pieces of advice I was given as a newbie was: don't try to fix everything about your eating all at once. If diet cola (or in my case milky tea) gets you through some tough patches that's ok. In a few weeks or months when your meal habits are strong, then you can look at cutting out sodas, or whatever.

To break the picking while cooking habit, I have chewed sugarless gum and sometimes drink peppermint tea - anything that will make picking seem / taste weird.

Yougothis

Post by Yougothis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:16 am

Friday. Success.

Day isn't quite over but I've marked a green in Hibitcal. I've had dinner and don't feel like I need anything else. I'll be content finishing my second glass of wine. I didn't think twice about not taking a spoonful or 3 of ice cream when i dished up some for my kids.

I loaded up my dinner plate tonight and literally could not have fitted another thing on it. At this point in time I'm not going to be concerned about the size of my meals.

Yougothis

Post by Yougothis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 am

Sat and Sunday S days. Done
Yesterday was ok but today (Sunday) was a bit out of control.

Yougothis

Post by Yougothis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Monday. SUCCESS.

today felt easy and I had no issues.