Octavia is finally checking in!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Octavia

Re: Octavia is finally checking in!

Post by Octavia » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:39 pm

Having a very lazy morning, er, afternoon. Really must get out of bed. But I’m spending good time journaling and thinking about my No S journey. I had a little fail again yesterday, and I’m sure it was sparked off by the disappointing scale news. Having done more than 3 months, staying mainly green, I’ve lost a whopping one and a half pounds according to the scale, which makes me feel so wretched and stupid, like I’ve spent all these weeks deluding myself into thinking I’m doing well when I’m in fact eating like a gannet. I think these thoughts were just beneath my awareness. So. Time for an intervention!

- Stop weighing. I can’t afford to have a mindset of waiting to feel successful. I need to feel successful now, in the moment, or I’ll never grow and change. NB stopping weighing must not coincide with stopping caring about controlling my eating.
- Cut down on wine. Have been drinking more (ie. one glass a night) due to dinner being delayed, due to DH going back to work. Probably only 100 cals a night, but there you are.
- Uplevel the natural No S focus on meals. I think I can emphasise this, be more conscious of anticipating and enjoying meals (as opposed to focussing on the absence of snacks). Let this focus continue at weekends, shifting treats to mealtimes.

I do think that the crackdown on snacks is the strongest aspect of No S, for a person like me. I don’t want to give up! Even if I truly can’t lose weight. It is perfectly possible that I have reached an appropriate weight for a moderate-eating, moderately active, 5’5, 55 year old. So I need to find other ways of feeling good about my body, feeling successful, without waiting for the scale to spark off a feeling of success.

Now I really MUST get out of bed. :oops:

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Put it in perspective a little, 1/2 lb a month is nearly half a stone a year. So 2 years and a stone off that's pretty impressive if you are enjoying your foods. Certainly better than the opposite gaining half a stone a year which at your age (mine too) can so easily happen :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Thank you so much, Soprano! A really welcome reminder and I so appreciate your perspective. I need to beware making modifications. Habits are so easily disrupted.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:01 am

I hate that stupid scale. I think you are doing really well and agree with soprano. It’s so common to be gaining at our age (I’m 52). Losing any weight especially without extreme measures is fantastic.

Give yourself some credit. You are doing great. 💜
Put in reasonable, sustainable perimeters on your eating and exercise and then get on with the rest of your life.

“Don't let people tell you who you are. You tell them who you are.” Shyamala Goplan Harris

Instagram "lpearlmom"

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks Linda! I needed to hear that. Yes, I am doing just fine. In fact it’s been an interesting week - I’ve had some bad moods and have gone to bed thinking I’d go to the supermarket the next day and buy something delicious and filling to neutralise that empty, bitter feeling I get when I’m low. But every day, I’ve found myself just sticking to No S! The habits are winning! :) And I haven’t stepped on the scales.

Wondering about buying one of those mini exercise bikes! There’s not much space in my house so I don’t want to get a proper exercise bike, but you can get a sort of pedal unit to put on the floor. Some of them have good reviews - I might go for it!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Yay! That’s fantastic! Staying off the scales is great. I’ve been back to weighing daily. I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not but using the Happy Scale app helps a lot. It gives you a moving average and shows you how much you’re losing a week (on average). You put in a weekly goal and you can see if you’re on track or not. I put mine at .25 lbs/week because I want to keep my expectations low. Anyway it helps to keep all those daily fluctuations in check. As long as my weight is slowly going dosn (very slowly ) Im good.

The bike idea sounds great. I love having a home option to working out.
Put in reasonable, sustainable perimeters on your eating and exercise and then get on with the rest of your life.

“Don't let people tell you who you are. You tell them who you are.” Shyamala Goplan Harris

Instagram "lpearlmom"

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Octavia - so impressive that you have avoided using the food to neutralize the icky feelings!

Linda - I've been thinking I might like one of those scales that provides averages.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:09 am

I didn’t know they had scales that do that, but this is the app I use.

https://happyscale.com/

Instagram "lpearlmom"

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:20 pm

Octavia sounds like you are doing good!

I have looked at those mini bike pedaling things too. IT is nice to have a way to get your heart rate up in your own house and work your muscles. It's just motivating yourself to do it that can be tricky!

I also have kind of come to that conclusion though lately. Like what am I willing to do and what kind of body will my lifestyle be able to give me? I dont' want to do a lot of weight lifting every week or tons of cardio, so I know that with moderate exercise,( like 3 times a week max) and 3 meals a day my 44-year-old self will look basically the way it looks right now. I either have to be happy with that or decide to change my lifestyle and I do not want to do that. It's definitely a new place for me to be mentally. I CAN and am willing to do 3 meals a day so I have been working on that. Snacking has been my struggle too.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Oh dear, it’s not been a good week. My routine has been disrupted with lots of travelling, and I’ve found myself snacking and eating chocolate. Also not having time to exercise. The focus has been on coping with work and family demands. Perhaps I just feel unmotivated. Staying snack-free when you’re travelling and can’t access nice meals feels grim. I’m fine till mid afternoon, then I’m caving in at the slightest temptation. :(

Linda, it’s interesting that you’ve started weighing again, because I’m already feeling I need to check my weight and not just hide my head in the sand. Despite all the health reasons for doing No S, I think if it doesn’t lead to weight loss, then this has to be addressed. But I know that mods often complicate and unravel the system.

Pink, arriving at that point of acceptance is a great thing! :)

Auto, you’re right, I was doing well to deal with those feelings, to let them pass without comforting myself with food. I feel different this week, but then it has been a different sort of week - I haven’t had as much control over my days as usual. I perhaps need to just accept this - sometimes life just gets in the way of staying green - rather than trying to figure out how I can find better strategies.

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:05 am

Feeling more positive today, and decided to start weighing again - even though any kind of weighing has its drawbacks, whether you do it daily or weekly or whatever. So I hopped on this morning, and was relieved to see that I’m down a little from two weeks ago when I decided to stop.

Yesterday I was tired - had been pulling a wheelie suitcase through the rain, with an achey back, after a sleepless night etc etc, so when I found 4 squares of chocolate in the fridge...well....!!! It was an honest fail, guv! :lol:

There’s nothing more I can do to cure my chocolate addiction right now, but there’s lots I can do to improve my daily diet. For a while I’ve just been eating ‘whatever’ for meals...whatever is most convenient, that I fancy, within reason. But I’ve started to uplevel this. I’ve shifted my beloved eggs from lunchtime to breakfast - having 2 nearly-hard-boiled eggs, shelled and on a plate with a single krisproll (those Swedish crispy wholemeal mini roll things) and a tomato, followed by a portion of fruit. It’s a lot more effort than the lazy habit I’d got into, of having one piece of toast with peanut butter and another piece with low sugar jam. Then for lunch, rather than just cooking an egg in the quickest, laziest way possible, I am having a salad with protein of some sort, and maybe fruit again. As for dinner - I’m experimenting with the idea of just having a nice soup and maybe a bit of toast. I’ve been feeling quite grumpy about all the effort I put into cooking the dinner, and clearing up, and thought this soup idea had the great advantage of not requiring much prep or washing up! So it taps into my laziness and also prevents me from overeating at a time of day when I don’t need all those calories. And DH is happy to go along, as he does not want to lose his status as beanpole extraordinaire.

These changes are, for me, possibly as radical as giving up snacking, and hopefully equally effective in reducing unnecessary calories. I’m prepared for it to feel strange and possibly insane. That will be my Inner Pig talking...

One hurdle is that my DD (a dancer and quite athletic) is returning for half term and will need big dinners. I will have to deal with this, perhaps by having a small plate - though that takes great willpower!

Anyway, it’s good to have some new strategies without feeling I’m meddling with the system. I DO feel I need No S to be a weight loss system. That’s why I’m here. And rather than add mods (such as allowing the odd snack or sweet on N days or reduce/control the S days) I just feel I want to do have a better strategy for meals.

Now, must get on with some work.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Good luck with your new “tools”. I always love having a new plan, it feel always feels very motivating :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Great ideas and planning, Octavia! I adore soup. I wish the rest of my family liked it as much - they always complain they want something with more "substance". :roll:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Sounds like some interesting ideas! I also love soup. Especially crockpot soup. All my kids hate it though. One of my favorite meals is a big bowl of soup with a piece of toast. As you can see in my check in, I eat that for lunch quite a lot! :)

I hope you have a good weekend!

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks for your encouragement, ladies! I’m feeling really positive. The scales, those fair weather friends, have rewarded me, too, darn them! I’m back down to where I was a couple of months ago, before the discouraging weight gain and plateau of September and October which nearly derailed me. I mean, we’re only talking 2lb or so, but in my world that is a lot. Of course it could be (and probably is) a blip!

I’m wondering whether to give up running. I’ve had a few hints that my pelvic floor is not happy - I will spare you the details. My mother had a ghastly bowel prolapse, and I need to be mindful about the possible strain of high impact exercise. I do not want to risk going through what she went through by bashing my pelvic floor. I didn’t sleep too well last night pondering this. Running is a wonderful challenge, and although I’ve never become ‘fluent’ at it, or lost weight through it, I have strengthened my knees and toned my legs, and felt a nice calm energy afterwards. I’d be sad to stop, especially as it feels like making a concession to ageing. But some things must be faced.

Rather annoyed that I have some work to do today - I usually enjoy the freedom of Saturdays! Never mind. Happy S days to all.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:33 pm

Sorry you have to do some extra work today, Octavia. I know what you mean about normally looking forward to the freedom (wide open space) of Saturdays.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8