Lori's checking in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LoriLifts

Lori's checking in

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:13 pm

I'm officially starting the S Diet on Monday January 14, the first day of training for the San Diego marathon on June 1.

I've completed 21 marathons. I was in shape for the first 20. My last marathon was last year, the same San Diego marathon I'm doing again. I had gained a bunch of weight (2005 was The Year Of The Couch, more on that later). Due to the weight gain I mostly walked the 26.2 miles. That wouldn't have bothered me so much. The wake up call was looking at my finishers photo. What the #$%^! How could that be me!

June 2, 2007 was my wake up call. It took me until January 13, 2008 to do something about it.

I'm commited to following the no S Diet until I cross the finish line of the marathon. I'm a bit commitment phobic so the race will be my first goal.

I just read an excellent book called "Hungry, lessons learned on the journey from fat to thin" by Allen Zadoff. One of the chapters is "My Body Is None Of My Business". In a nutshell this means that the author gave up his ideas of what his weight should be. He stopped trying to get his body into a certain shape and size. Instead, he focused on his eating and exercise plan and let his body transform into the size it's supposed to be naturally.

I'm going to follow his example.

Another chapter is "Nobody Ever Starved Between Lunch And Dinner". I need to re-read that part.

So, I'll be back on Monday to begin my daily log in. Let the games begin...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:43 am

Day 1...SUCCESS :)
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:16 am

Day 2...SUCCESS!!!!!

I bought a couple of pretty italian ceramic plates and bowls. Now I can eat my one portion meals on fancy tableware!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:21 am

Another SUCCESSful day.

I had a day chocked full of bad news. I'm proud of myself today.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:20 am

Welcome to a wonderful place with amazing people. I wish you well in your training for the marathon and I am sure that the simplicity of No S will help you achieve you aim.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 am

SUCCESS

Wow...I really think this is going to stick :)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:43 pm

FAILURE

I'm not beating myself up. It's my first week, new habits take time. I'm happy that I checked in everyday and used my HabitCal.

I did find myself browsing in the "health and fitness" section of Borders. I'm addicted to reading the latest diet books. I only flipped through a couple books. I'm commited to breaking the pattern of buying/reading/eating like a maniac until the start date of the new diet/staying on the diet for 3 days/quitting the diet and feeling like a failure pattern.

A couple of months ago I sold all my diet books. I made over $1000.00. That's alot of diet books.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:18 pm

Thought I'd check in at least once every weekend.

I'm enjoying my S days. I enjoyed Saturday a little too much. I need to stick to 3 meals on the weekends. Grazing is a slippery slope for me.

One of my favorite sayings is from the book "Mindless Eating". The author says that the best diet is one you don't know you're on. That's why I like No S, it feels like the natural way to eat.

I am going to very slowly decrease my portion sizes. Maybe leave a bite or two on my plate.

Be back tomorrow.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:21 pm

Hmmm...yesterday was a holiday, maybe that's the loophole I need to call it an S day.

One thing I know, I need to commit to the 21 day challenge. I'm traveling for the next 10 days, my schedule will be unpredictable. As soon as I get back home I'll begin the 21 days.

The good news is that my exercise has been consistent.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:19 am

OK....this has been a really bad week.

The division I work for is being eliminated in February. So I'll be out of a job. We all saw this coming but still, this is a tough blow.

I'm no stranger to being laid off. In 2005, my job was downsized. I went from running marathons to sitting on the couch. After a few weeks it was sitting on the couch with a bowl of ice cream.

I refuse to let this happen again.

I'll be out of town until next Wednesday. When I return I'm following the S diet and getting back in shape.

If I'm going to be unemployed, I'm going to look good.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm off to Las Vegas!

My husband and I are spending a few days in vegas. I'm going to de-stress and have fun. As soon as my feet hit new mexico again I'm beginning my 21 day challenge.

I need to fit into my interview clothes!