Dee's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

deealison

Dee's Check-in

Post by deealison » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:14 pm

I am official in Week 1. After reading the WW article and finding the web site, I tried to do a few days last week, but ended up eating dessert every time. I guess I had to get it out of my system. I also needed to figure out how to adjust to set meals and meal-times. My breakfast is so good and fills my 1st plate of the day. I've decided to split one of my big plates and have half around 4pm and the other half 7-8ish, depending on my evening schedule. I mostly appreciate getting to eat what I like. I'm trying to have protein, starch, vegetable, & fruit so that I will be satisfied longer. I just got off a very expensive program that helped my blood sugar, but was low-cal. and boring. I felt faint in the supermarket because the only way I could stick to the diet was to keep food and food aroma away from me! I would like to have a little wine with my dinner, but should I only do that on S days? Anyone have any idea's on this? :D :D

deealison

Post by deealison » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:39 pm

A new day. I was surprised that I did okay on 3 meals yesterday. I was fully expecting to split the last one in half. I just kept going and the time flew. I actually ate at 9am, 3pm, and 8pm. I hope my body is getting used to the longer stretch between meals. I had a little coffee, tea, and gum inbetween with no problem. I meant to eat lunch by 2pm at the latest, but I was running errands and got home later than planned. I'm really, really enjoying my food though. I'm treating each plate like a very nice meal and having some great food. I think I'm ruined forever against diet food by the fact that I love to cook and try new things. I go through my kitchen and see what's there, pull out several cookbooks - you'd think I was creating art. At least it's fun, satisfying, and hopefully, more healthy now. I think less grazing gives your body a chance to heal itself without constant digestion going on.

deealison

Post by deealison » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:52 pm

I actually had to throw away some of my supper last night! Maybe my eye's are bigger than my stomach. I was hungry when I started to eat, I just got too full and realized that what was left was unappetizing. I'm so glad, because it shows that No S is easy to adjust to. I'm not sure where I'm going to squeeze dinner in tonight. I have a tight schedule that will keep me busy till 8:30pm. I could make something around 7, but then I've got to pick up the kids (instead of staying at their activity). I guess I should just wait and see how hungry I am by then. Playing it by ear. I'm only 5' and I wonder if I'm eating too much by filling my plates full. I guess since I threw away some food (just couldn't eat any more), my body will get good at figuring out what I need each time. I actually felt really full and I only had about 2/3rds!

deealison

Post by deealison » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:55 pm

It was a tough weekend. I made the mistake of weighing myself on Friday. I was dealing with sickness and it made me take an S day. I think I was discouraged because I gained 2 pounds. Even though I waited to eat my 3 meals, maybe I ate too much. It also could be hormonal. I am determined to wait till Saturday to weigh again. That way, I can have my cake and eat it too! The good news is that I did well for mostly 4 days in a row and exercised too. It's nice to start over on Monday.

deealison

Post by deealison » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:25 am

My 2nd week! Whoo-hoo! I gained 2 pounds the first week and today I found that I'm at the exact same weight. This is a good thing. At least I'm steady while my body is getting used to this. I was soooo sure I was gaining another 5 pounds or something. Just bloated from hormones. Whew!

I've learned a lot the last two weeks. My eating is more 'ordered.' I've experimented with how much time I need between meals. 4-5 between b-fast and lunch. A late lunch will help me make it till dinner. 15 min. of exercise is fine for me if I'm sick, but I like to have weeks where I'm doing 45min. I like to vary the times so I keep motivated. If I can get myself to do 10 days of more intensive exercise, then I bring the level of intensity down. I mostly like short work-outs on days where I feel overwhelmed by a full schedule. Do what works for you.

I recently had to put boundaries down on several family/church relationships. I can't believe how many bullies were in my life! I've got a younger brother in his 30's who is giving me hell because I won't let him be codependent. He's whining to other people that we need 'reconciliation,' when I don't dare let him get me alone because then he verbally beats me up (and everyone thinks he's the greatest, of course). I've got a great DH who stands up for me.

No more bullies
No more superstars
No more divas

Just real life
Just beauty
Just God