Eileen Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

esdaly

Eileen Check In

Post by esdaly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 am

Count yesterday as a [SUCCESS!color=green][/color] Yay! And I enjoyed every meal, didn't feel hungry in between, wasn't tempted to snack! I love this! Now, I just hope it helps me take off some weight. In any case, I so believe in this concept. Just the mental relief is worth the ride. This is one of the sanest approaches I have ever encountered and I am looking forward to really getting the hang of it. Oh, and if I count the hour of PT I had yesterday along with the hour walk I took with my husband then: two hours of exercise yesterday. I am feeling pretty good overall. Good luck today all!

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 am

Good for you! I love this too and agree about the mental relief. Glad you found us.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Good for you!!! :)
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

esdaly

Post by esdaly » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:40 am

Day 2 SUCCESS!

esdaly

Tough Day Yesterday

Post by esdaly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:39 am

Count yesterday as a hard one SUCCESS!! I really struggled not to snack last night. I was up with shoulder pain and waiting for my teenage daughters to get home. The combination of anxiety and pain brought on the desire to eat for comfort, but I was able to fend it off! Yay!

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 pm

Good for you! I can appreciate the anxiety of waiting for your kids to get home. I do that too. Those are the times that I have to remember this quote: "If hunger is not the problem, eating is not the solution." I have so often used food for comfort that it comes automatically to my mind whenever I am worried about something. I now know that it's only a temporary fix and, more importantly, a bad habit! And habits can be broken! You're doing a great job.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

esdaly

Thank You

Post by esdaly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Thank you for your response Jilybean! I especially liked the quote about eating not being the solution and you are so right: habits CAN be broken! Thanks again, for taking the time to post!

esdaly

Failure--Dang!

Post by esdaly » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:42 pm

Count yesterday as a Failure--Dang! I am struggling with inactivity due to recent surgery, along with pain, boredom and anxiety--not major diagnosable stuff just the stuff that makes me want to seek out comfort foods. I do fine all day, but struggle terribly in those long evening hours since I can't do much with this shoulder. I gave in and ate a brownie sunday last night. Reviewing my progress so far:

First week: Perfect
Second Week: Perfect
Third Week: Surgery: Didn't participate in NoS
Fourth Week: One Failure
Fifth Week: One Failure

Not sure how typical my progress is. I'd love to hear from others about there beginning stages!

esdaly

Back on track

Post by esdaly » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:47 am

Count yesterday as a SUCCESS. (I can't make the letters green for some reason, anyone know why?) Anyway today is an S day, but I am not feeling like I need to binge b/c of it. I just had a bowl of cereal--one bowl was sufficient. Imagine that! Also, I noticed that I have had one F day per week and that it has always occurred on a Thursday. Coincidence or perhaps I run out of gas toward the end of the week. I am hoping to strengthen the habit so that I can get through five full days successfully.

esdaly

Success

Post by esdaly » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:09 am

Weekend of S days a bit heavier than I would like, but I am already noticing a decreased desire and an increased awareness of the negative physical effects of overeating. Monday a SUCCESS!

esdaly

Success, success, success

Post by esdaly » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:20 am

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all SUCCESS days. Moreover, I am beginning to make better, healthier choices without feeling deprived. Yesterday I had a bagel w/ cream cheese for breakfast, grilled chicken w/ pepper and onion for lunch and A grilled chicken salad for dinner (did have two small dinner rolls, but still a significant improvement!) YAY!

esdaly

Success, success, success

Post by esdaly » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:11 am

Count yesterday as a success. Weekend seems to be getting better as well. Less intense and less desperate over eating.