New to No S-ing :)

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Grace

New to No S-ing :)

Post by Grace » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:17 am

Well, I bought the NO S book one week ago and I've been No S-ing since last Sunday. I started out at 163 and I'm now 161. I've been eating full plates (but not heaping) and I've found not eating snacks to be the most difficult change (I'm a major snacker...and it's usually junk food...i.e. chips and candy on the way home from work!). I *am* enjoying a glass of wine each night, though. 8) I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't feel this great need to pork out this weekend on my S days. I will be eating some ice cream with a slice of cheesecake tonight, but that was a planned treat that I'm not even craving at the moment. I did have some pomegranate jelly bellies today for a snack and they were yummy, but even then I could have taken them or left them. I'm looking forward to the no snacking being a habit, because right now that...and possibly eating more than one plate full are the biggest hurdles I'm facing. BUT...I have a very good feeling about this plan! I've dieted since I was knee high to a grasshopper (okay, since I was around 15) and this is the first time when I've really thought (you know, this just might be IT), mainly because it feels the least like "dieting". Anyway, all that to say, I'm glad I'm here and thanks for this way of eating Reinhard!

I hope I will be here a long time and can encourage others!
Peace,
Grace :wink:
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me! :)

la_loser

Welcome to No S!

Post by la_loser » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 am

Welcome to our growing group!

You'll find a wealth of support here. It's amazing how quickly someone will offer an answer if you have a question!

Have a great second week.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Grace

Monday 3-9-09 Check-In

Post by Grace » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:52 am

Thanks for the welcom LA Loser! :D It's great to be here.

Today has gone well. I always come home from work *very* hungry. I find having a glass of red wine really helps me from snacking while I'm eating. I drink 32 oz of water on my way home from work, too (it's a 30 min. drive). Here's what I ate today:

B'fast: 1 slice of toasted Ezekial Bread with natural pb and blackberry jam; 1/2 grapefruit; cup of coffee with cream and raw sugar

Lunch: Smart Ones vegetarian lasagna; salad with caesar dressing; slice of apple

32 oz. water

Dinner: large salad with cut up meat and caesar dressing; 1.5 rolls with olive oil and seasonings for dipping; glass of Chianti

Peace,
Grace

embee

Post by embee » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:22 pm

Welcome Grace... I am on my second week too! Fun, huh. :)

I have to ask... why one slice of apple? Was it a bad one? :)
Everyone gets what they want. Some do not always like it.

Grace

Week 2, Day 4 Check-In

Post by Grace » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Hey Embee :) Thanks for the welcome! That's cool that we're both on week 2 (technically, I'm on Week 2, Day 3, but I want Saturday to be my weigh-in day (instead of Sunday), so I'm going to say I started on a Saturday (they're both S days anyway, right? Yeah, about the one slice of apple....eh, it was a good apple, but I had a pretty full plate and I was pretty full and didn't need more...and I was at work and was cutting it with a plastic fork! I don't always cut my apples, but a whole apple or even a half an apple would have been more than I needed. I must say, one of the things I really love about this way of eating it just that - it's a way of eating. I don't feel like I'm dieting. Granted, I do still want to snack after work, but I hold out until I get home and have my glass of red wine! 8)

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: (same every day) 1 slice Ezekial Bread toasted with natural PB and blackberry jam; 1/2 grapefruit

Lunch: around 12 Triscuits; 3 Laughing Cow cheese triangles; 3/4 of an apple (that same apple!) :lol:

Dinner: Spaghetti; salad with caesar dressing; 2 small rolls with olive oil and seasonings dipping sauce; glass of Chianti

Grace

Wednesday check-in

Post by Grace » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Yesterday went well. My parents are visiting and I LOVE how this way of eating (woe) is so easy to do when you have visitors! I love that I don't have to count my points or worry over eating out, etc. I'm really liking this woe! Okay, this is what I had yesterday:

B'fast: the usual (see above)

Lunch: homemade chicken salad, triscuits, and grapes

Dinner: Pizza and a salad

Glass of shiraz 8)

lovin' it~!
:) Grace

Grace

I got discouraged, then yo-yoed, now I'm back for good!

Post by Grace » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:50 am

Well, I've been gone for about a month and a half. I kinda quit No-Sing after my 2nd week weigh-in. I think I gained 3 lbs. that week or something (even though I was No-Sing correctly). It discouraged me so much that I starting yo-yo dieting again. :oops: After a month and a half of looking for 'the perfect diet' (talk about discouraging!), I'm back to No-Sing, because frankly, this is the ONLY plan I can see myself *living with*. I think that's the most important thing. I really believe I *CAN* live eating this way for the rest of my life. I believe as hard as it can be to not snack that this will become a habit with time. I guess my only concern is why I gained weight that 2nd week of No-Sing. I wasn't overeating at meals, but I was having a glass or two of red wine each night. Has anyone else had to give up drinking wine (or alcohol) on their No-S days? I've also gotten rid of my scales. I'm way too concerned over a stupid number on a scale, when what I should really be looking at is how my clothes fit and how good and healthy I feel. Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who realized that wine was effecting their weightloss and had to restrict it to S days. Please share!
thanks!
Grace

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Grace,

I don't drink wine but I think you should put this question on the general discussions list, with a subject line like "wine a problem" or something like that. You might get more responses than just from posting in your daily check in.

Good luck.
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 pm

I have a glass of wine every night, pretty much, and I'm still seeing good results. I don't lose FAST, but I am losing!

Your meals sound pretty moderate, so in your shoes I'd just commit to do the 21-green-day challenge without weighing, and then see where you are. And walk a lot. ;-) If after that you're still up, there might be an issue to address, but work on establishing the habit first.

Grace

Thanks for the tips

Post by Grace » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks Liz and Thalia for the tips! Liz, I will post my wine question to the group on the other board.

Thalia, thanks for letting me know that a glass of wine has not been keeping you from losing.

I think I've decided that unless I *really* want a glass of wine at night that I'm going to try to just drink water. I need to drink a lot more water anyway.

Thanks again for responding!
:) Grace