Marianna's Checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Marianna

Marianna's Checkin

Post by Marianna » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 am

I used to hang out here and read about Nos, but I never took the plunge. It seems like it took me years to be ready, but here I am. Here is my food for the day--Green Light for me!

B: oatmeal w/ nuts and raisins

L: sweet potato and andouille sausage stew

L2: Green shake

D: filet of sole, asparagus, fruit in yogurt sauce

Feels very very good to be done for the day!

Cheers

Marianna

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:23 am

Welcome Marianna! That's a very delicious-sounding menu.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 pm

As I posted on the general, I have been rapidly gaining weight since I have been eating carbs. I believe that I am exquisitely sensitive, especially when I combine fat and carbs. This truly sucks. I am carrying on with NoS however, and I am cutting down rather than eliminating my carb intake--I have no idea what to do about S days, as I can see that any sugar is going to result in more fat.

Here is the menu for today:

B: "Green" shake: (Kale, berries, flaxmeal, PP)

L:Stirfry chicken and veggies w/ one piece sprouted grain toast

D: salad, shrimp/tomato/feta bake, sprouted brown rice

Green day for me!

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Good weekend--feel like I am getting in the swing of things. My S days are friday and Saturday, so yesterday was an N day:

lowsugar protein pancakes w/ sf syrup

bagel w/ cream cheese and lox/latte

chili w/ cheese/3 prunes

Went on a long bike ride yesterday--

Here is the plan for today:

B: raisin bran and 1/2 banana

L: oatmeal w/ peanut butter and 2 Tbs raisins

D: leftover chili ;-)

I will probably get in a long walk today

Cheers

Marianna

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Well, things seem to be moving along. I still find that for breakfast and lunch, I am heavily carb based, likely as an antidote to my two years of lowcarb eating.

Food yesterday (which I will duplicate today)

B: raisin bran w/ banana and almond milk

L: oatmeal w/ peanut butter and raisins

L2: "green" smoothy (kale, berries, flaxmeal and water)

D: veggie chicken stirfry, 3 prunes

This menu is so so satisfying to me right now. I still have a big hunger, stomachgrowling attack around 10 am, which is embarrassing because I am a therapist and it is quite noticeable. I am hoping this all settles down when i get accustomed to no food between breakfast and lunch. I would prefer to avoid milk or other liquidcalories so that I move more quickly to adjustment.

Marianna

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri May 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Friday today--today and tomorrow are my S days. I have so so enjoyed my food today (a honey bran muffin for breakfast and a cheeseburger/onion rings for lunch). Tonight will be a dinner out with friends, so I do hope I can keep from being an idiot. I am finding that the influence from my N days is a sense of overfullness from food that would normally not fill me up so much--a very good thing. My goal for today and tomorrow is to enjoy myself without going overboard--and then back to N days on Sunday!

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Mon May 04, 2009 12:30 am

"ok" S days. Saturday was def better then Sunday. I got lots of exercise both days, but had a bit of a nut/dried fruit binge on Saturday, that left me feeling kind of bad about myself. I know these things should adjust over time.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Wed May 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Yesterday was a hard day to keep green, tho i did. I don't know if it is a result of overeating on my S days, but I was terribly hungry on monday, and then on tuesday, not so so hungry, but craving terribly--does anyone have similar experiences following the weekend? I am hoping today will be easier, but honestly, I have planned bigger meals for today hopiing that this will quiet down my system--

Marianna

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri May 08, 2009 1:22 am

tough day. green, but tough--emotional bs happening in my life

B: engmuffin w/pb and banana

L: bowl of raisin bran and banana/green shake

d: mixed veg, coleslaw, chicken sereneda, a few nuts and raisins

S day tomorrow and saturday

Marianna

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Tue May 12, 2009 5:49 pm

My weekend in Santa Barbara with my son turned into a weekend in Santa Monica due to the fires--but we had a great time, and my S days were just fine by and large--it is amazing how much N days has decreased my capacity for food--I am full much longer then I used to be=

Still feel like I am eating a lot for meals, but I have had no failures since I started this round of Nosing

Plan for the day:

Raisin bran/banana/almond milk

Leftover pork chile verde

Marianna

Chicken stir fry/ prunes

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Mon May 18, 2009 5:50 pm

I am feeling pretty sad and discouraged. I have made it past my 21 days (at least if you count S days among your 21), and I would say that I have not lost a pound. I am only doing one S day a week, because I am both hypothyroid and menopausal, it takes very few extra calories to pile on the pounds. I exercise every day, and my N days might result in weight loss if I wasnt so sensitive to my S day. I know that Reinhardt says that over time and with patience things will change, but this is really hard. Every monday my pants are tight again. by the end of the week, things get better. I would say my S days are loose but not insane. I think I am super insulin sensitive after years lowcarbing. I don't think I will change anything, but I am just sad.

Marianna

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:37 pm

THat is definitely frustrating but I derive some satisfaction from being in control. I hope you do too.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Tue May 19, 2009 1:22 am

Indeed--I do like feeling in control, and that is a good thing to keep in mind. I wonder if other people have felt stuck like this and if there is anything different I might try

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri May 22, 2009 3:23 am

My first major Failure

I don't know what happened. I have been feeling fat, I ate too little today and got hungry. I think my allergies are making me feel foggy and light headed, and I came home, and have been pretty much binging ever since. Tomorrow is supposed to be my S day, but I am going to avoid that since I am taking an S day on Monday. Sometimes I really discourage myself with my behavior.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Sun May 24, 2009 11:12 pm

three days off the wagon--back on today--

b: oatmeal pancake

L: chicken veggie pad thai

s: yogurt

d: chinese chicken salad/fruit

better--did a long bike ride today which felt great--

I love NoS--and it was sad to be out of sync with this way of living

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 pm

I need to get into the habit (should i make a habitcal for it?) of checking in--

Last night was green, even tho I went for indian food with my son--I was uncomfortably full afterwards and felt bad and guilty, tho I just had my one plate--probably the combo of fat and carbs

here is the plan for the day--

B: protein pancakes and coffee w/ cream

L: turkey cheese sandwiches on lowcarb tortillas

s: green shake

d: some kind of protein/veggie combination, maybe with some sprouted grain toast

exercise--depends on if it stops raining!

Marianna