missOlea's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

missOlea

missOlea's Daily Check In

Post by missOlea » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:13 am

Hi everyone!

This is my first check-in. I found out about the No-S Diet yesterday from some productivity blog, I forget which one, talking about Shovelgloving (is that even a word?).

So, Day 1 check-in (yesterday) was almost a success! I had a hot Milo (Aussie chocolate/malt drink - yummy hot or cold) for breakfast with a couple of biscuits because I arrived at work hungry, and I'm not at my usual office so I couldn't go buy muesli from the supermarket (my normal breakfast, which I eat when I get to work at 8.30am).

Day 1 (today, starting over) check-in is going really well! I had Maccas for breakfast - 2 hash browns - on the way to work, and I went to the supermarket at lunch to buy supplies for the rest of the week. I know it wasn't particularly healthy, but I didn't snack between breakfast and lunch!

I bought bagels, delicious yoghurt and a handful of cherries for brekkie the rest of this week.

I drink a lot of juice - about 500mL per day! I'm pretty sure they're okay on the No-S diet, but I just wanted to confirm - do they count as Sweets? Or Snacks if we don't have them with a meal?

Thanks!
Last edited by missOlea on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

emd1212

Post by emd1212 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:48 am

Welcome! Sounds like you did great for your first day. As far as the juices go, if you find that you're having difficulty losing weight, you might try cutting back on the juice (since it does add calories) and drink more water or unsweetened tea instead. Or, you could dilute your juice with some water to make it go further. But technically, yes, on No-S you are allowed fruit juice between meals.

missOlea

Day 2

Post by missOlea » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:13 am

Day 1: (yesterday) SUCCESS!

Yay! Was tempted by a pre-bed hot chocolate and cookie, but I really wanted to put "Success" in my post.

Day 2 (today): Success so far! I had a delicious (and pretty healthy) breakfast - Half a bagel with light 'cream cheese and strawberries' spread, a 200mL tub of the best yoghurt in the world (connoisseur brand, it's so creamy) and 5 cherries. Mmm-mmm. And apple juice.

Usually by 10.30am, I'm pretty hungry but I still feel full! But I wonder if I'll be bored by bagels by the end of the week?

I'm so glad about the juice being okay, but if I'm not seeing enough weight shift by Day 21, I'll switch to H2Orange. The water here at work is pretty gross.

EDIT: Still going well! It's nearly 5pm. I had a bagel with "Smoked Salmon" cream cheese/cottage cheese spread and avocado for lunch with a mandarin on the side. I've really wanted a snack for about an hour, but I jumped on the board and I think I'll be okay until Dinner! Another hour to go...

missOlea

Day 2

Post by missOlea » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:50 am

Day 2: SUCCESS!

Dinner ended up being about a cup of rice, 2 chicken skewers, an apple and OJ. I ran my daily food into calorieking.com.au, and I'm over my reccommended calories because of all the juice! Once my habit is stronger, I'll start cutting out juice. Darn it!

Day 3: Success so far.

B: usual
L: usual

missOlea

Days 3-5

Post by missOlea » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:45 am

Day 3: SUCCESS

Day 4: S-DAY

Day 5: S-DAY

My first S-Days were a little wild! I specifically bought M&Ms to share with my fmaily in celebration of a succesful start of building my habit. I also bought Movie-Style Microwave Popcorn, because we were going to watch a movie at home on the new TV, and I love butter popcorn!

Well, the M&M's were great, but the popcorn was gross! It was all greasy, and not like I remember it tasting at all. I guess this change thing really works! I'm so glad we're allowed S-Days, because I really needed to have a blowout, without ruining my entire efforts so far. I don't feel like a failure! Instead, I found out where my boundaries should go. Now I understand what people mean when they say "I'm glad it's monday again, and I'm back to N-Days" - me too!

I plan on next weekend being a lot more similar to N-Days than last weekend was.

missOlea

Day 6

Post by missOlea » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:23 pm

Day 6: SUCCESS!

D: Slow-cooked lamb shanks and beans (in vegetable stock?) - perfect winter meal.

Day 7: Success so far. (But I'm only up to Breakfast!!)

EDIT: Still Success...

L: Two baby potatoes with sour cream, brocollini, baby spinach and a few grape tomatoes. Yum!

I have a question: I had an apple on my plate for lunch (well, next to my plate, didn't want sour cream on it!), but I forgot to eat it at lunch. Am I allowed to eat it an hour later? Or did I miss that boat? I know that an apple isn't a big deal, but in general is there a time frame after which foods allocated to lunch are designated Snacks?

missOlea

Day 7

Post by missOlea » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:42 am

Day 7: SUCCESS

D: Leftover Beans and Lamb with some mashed potato and broccoli

Day 8: Success so far, but I was so, so close to a Failure!

B: Milo and an Apple. :(

That's why I was close to the fail - I forgot to buy breakfast stuff when I did my lunch shop, and I didn't have time to go to a supermarket.

I tried to buy some raisin toast from the coffee shop downstairs from work, but they only take cash, and I didn't have any on me! I nearly fell for the cookies... but I didn't!

missOlea

Day 8

Post by missOlea » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Day 8: SUCCESS!

I made it!

L: Baby potatoes, grape tomatoes and baby spinach leaves

D: Nando's chicken wrap meal with chips and soft drink. (Should have gone cous cous!)

Day 9: Going well.

B: Banana bread and small hot chocolate

missOlea

Days 9-13

Post by missOlea » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:37 am

Day 9: SUCCESS

Day 10: S-DAY

Day 11: S-DAY

(I don't think I was an idiot on either of those days, but I did a lot of snacking rather than eating actual meals)

Day 12: SUCCESS

Day 13: SUCCESS

Day 14: Success so far... but no Breakfast

Two weeks! I really wanted to eat some of the biscuits (sorry, cookies) on display in the tea room, they're good ones. And there are lollies and chocolates in a bowl too! But I'd have to get rid of my 14-link strong paperclip chain and start again, and that would be devastating.

missOlea

Days 14-20

Post by missOlea » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:04 pm

Day 14: SUCCESS

Day 15: SUCCESS

Day 16: SUCCESS

Day 17: SUCCESS

Day 18: S-DAY

Day 19: S-DAY

Day 20: Will definitely be successful! Tomorrow is day 21 for goodness sake! But I'm going to have to be very careful, I sometimes seem to sabotage myself. See you tomorrow!!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:49 am

WooHoo for missOlea! Today's your day - you official entrance into the 21 Day Club!

Congratulations!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

missOlea

DAY 21!!

Post by missOlea » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:50 pm

Day 21: SUCCESS!!!

Thanks Mimi! I made it! No sabotaging, no last minute freak out. I am successful!