Mounted Ranger's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger's Check-in

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:38 am

Day 1
Tuesday
Lovely day and an easy one. I thought it would be hard but not as bad as I thought. I'm using about an 8 inch plate. I wanted snacks but I didn't eat them.

I got the book today. I'm almost finished.

INterestingly, I find that NoSing is nicely consistent with stewardship ideals and dovetails with the book I'm reading, Blessed are You Poor. Interesting juxtaposition but still, they're connecting in my mind anyway.

oops, I put red for success instead of green. got it now.
Last edited by Mounted Ranger! on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:09 am

Day 2
Great! A couple of things happened: I hosted a little tea party with my daughter and some of her friends and didn't snack. I did fix a nice hot cup of milk/cafix and sipped that and enjoyed the skits they put on for me. It really felt good to be successful.

Also: we ate out tonight. I did great! I ate on a reasonable sized plate -- about 9-10 inches -- and had a (puny little) plan in place for when everyone else started eating desserts. I ate slowly, savoring every bite and drinking b/t bites. Then, when everyone else started ordering desserts, I just said I was still eating and would pass this time. I'm pleased that it worked so well but it felt rediculously long. I just didn't want to sit there staring while everyone else ate desserts. I made a plan and it worked! Yeah!

I did spend some time hungry today but I'm trying offer it up and kind of make friends with it. So far, just Day 2, I dont' mind it.
Last edited by Mounted Ranger! on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:04 am

Day 3
Great. I do get hungry b/t meals but I just push through it. I really like doing this. I did have a lot of food on my plate this evening but it was my same size plate and, well, they did say a few heaping plates in the beginning was okay: educational. :wink:

I have my sledge hammer and I've made habitcals for NoSing, shovelgloving, and ranging. My plan for HabitCal is to dedicate an individual HabitCal to NoS, Shovelgloving, and Ranging. I'll continue logging in that way all the way through August. Then I think I'll condense them to one habitcal and will have to do it all to be successful on one habitcal.

Shovelglove: muy dificil.
Ranging: nice.
Last edited by Mounted Ranger! on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:44 am

Day 4
Great day. I really should get some kind of reward (I guess I'll get the skinny award) b/c just as I was going to eat, I got called for an emergency at the hosp. Right afterward I had to do the grocery shopping. Still, I waited till I got home to eat. Oh, I was famished! I did it, though! I also ranged and shovelgloved.
Mounted Ranger!

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:14 am

Rebeccca wrote:I really should get some kind of reward...
Be wary Rebecca. It's that "I deserve this" mentality that advertising pushes that makes so many people buy themselves a treat for no real reason. People two generations ago worked much longer and harder than we do and didn't have a fraction of the labour saving gadgets we do yet I doubt many of them thought they deserved a treat after a hard day’s work. Glad you stayed strong. Well done. :)

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:35 am

ACK!!! It's like walking into my house and finding someone there!! Welcome to my days. And you know what . . . I do agree with you. It is the little things like that that can sabotage efforts AND well, it isn't quite the feeling I want to have.

Now I'm goiing to peek at your days!
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:43 am

Well, let's see . . . For one, I'm not going to bother trying to remember which day it is anymore. For the last few days . . .

As far as NoSing, I've had all successes, Successes, SUCCESSES!

For Ranging I have one failure.
For Shovelgloving I have 2 failures.

That HabitCal is a good little tool. It hurt to log those red days. Ouch!
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 am

Successes all around!

No real problems NoSing but I have noticed a strong propensity to graze while cooking. Good to know.

Incredible ranging today. My daughter and I walked to the vet, store, and back this afternoon.

I did shovelglove. I meant to do it when I got up and I meant to do it this afternoon I meant to do it this evening. I actually logged on for my dailly log and when it came to logging a red day for shovelgloving . . . I shovelgloved. So, that is a success.

sigh . . .
Last edited by Mounted Ranger! on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:02 pm

NoS: A little hungry in the afternoon and probably a consequence of eating too light a breakfast. Successful, though!!!
Ranging: WoooHooo! Mounted ranger on the go!
Shovelgloving: Strangely I didn't want to shovelglove in front of my husband but I still got it done . . . in another room. :wink:

Just got back from Panera (we rode bikes up there to have school) and I was just a bit nervous about food choices. I felt confident that I'd make good choices but I thought I might feel a little grumpy and hungry. Nope, not bad at all. I had fruit for breakfast and a soy milk. While my daughter had lunch I had a mug of soy milk. I did plan to have lunch but time got away from us and since we were on bikes, we needed time to get home b/f violin. So, I'm having lunch at home. well, I would have like to have the soup but who cares. It was a nice afternoon out and I can have soup anytime. At least I wasn't salivating for the sweets!.

Supper was just delicious tonight and pre-NoS, I would have polished off the pot. I put it away and am loggin my fabulous success instead of finishing off the delicious remains. I probably will have them for breakfast tomorrow, though.

later . . . I'm famished. I think it isn't so much that I'm hungry but that I just want those delicious left-overs in the fridge. My coping mechanism is to come here and look at the lovely green squares on my NoS HabitCal, browse other people's posts for motivation, and in a few minutes I'll fix a cup of hot milk and hit the sack. I will succeed today.
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:44 pm

The weekend was great!
My daughter and I are traveling with my husband on a business trip. On Saturday we were home and everything was normal. I 3 meals and they were of decent size -- slightly pudgy 8 inch plate. I also had some ice cream. Sunday was also fine but we were driving to Houston. Three restaurant meals in a day. sigh. And only one of them was good. Supper was delicious at a mediterranean restaurant.

Today is Monday. Happilly I brought almonds, cheese, milk, and a jar of peanut butter. I thought that in a pinch I could use some of it for protein in my meals. As it turns out, it's going to be breakfast. The hotel breakfast is, er, lacking so that's goiing to add an additional challenge.

Walking is also going to be a challenge. We're doing a lot of driving and hotel staying. Still, I brought my shoes and some clothes to walk in and will certainly do it.
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Back from vacation.
NoS was great! Stayed on it and didn't suffer a bit! 8)
Ranging was a two day success and three day failure.
Shovelgloving was also a two day success and a three day failure.

I love looking at my lovely green and yellow NoS habitcal and hate seeing all that red staring at me from my shovelglove and ranger habitcals.
Mounted Ranger!