Debs daily exercise log for January 2010

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Debs daily exercise log for January 2010

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Well I'm starting a little late into January, but I'm going to be using this thread to help keep me focused on getting in my daily exercise.
I am counting any form of exercise, which I deliberately do, daily, for at least 14 minutes. I'm not counting the stairs I climb or the light walking I do to and from the parking lot.
Even tho that helps too, I want to form a habit of just stopping everything else, and really making a concerted effort to get my heart going and get a little sweaty! :wink:
I'll make a new thread for each month, in addition to continuing to update my habit cal.. (but hopefully without all that horrible *red*!!! :? :oops: :shock: )

So I'm starting on an S day, therefore I mark today

S day - Exempt

If by chance I do exercise on an S day, I will change it to a success, but the weekends are all optional for exercise.
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:58 am

Ok, update:
I think three and a half hours of non stop cleaning counts as daily exercise today.. LOL :wink:

Success!

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:25 am

Congrats, Debs! I use housework for excersize too. It's hard work and movement with a purpose. Do you mind if I steal your idea for starting an excersize check-in thread? What a great idea!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Maybe I should do something like this too. . . my track record for exercise is dismal! Good work Deb!
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks mrsj and girl next door :)
I've just been hiding too much behind a *very* red HabitCal, so I figured I'd need a little goose to get myself serious and accountable again.

Have a great day!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:58 am

Okay, I failed today! :evil:
Tomorrow is a new day :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Success!!!
Just beat the living "beep" out of a carpet which I brought over from my Mom's place to our apartment. It was very dusty and I didn't want to bring it in till it was less dirty.. So between carrying the carpet out to the car from her house, and up the stairs to our place, plus 15 mins of non stop whacking it with a large birch stick, I think that satisfies my daily exercise requirement!
That was really fun!
Highly recommend this to anyone who wants a good stress reliever! :wink:

I also realise, after yesterdays failure, that I have to make sure that my default 14 mins of exercise, really has to be done at the beginning of the day.
That's what tripped me up yesterday.. By the time I remembered I hadn't done it, it was just too late at night and I felt too lazy.
Have a good day everyone :)
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:00 am

Today I'm taking an S day for being sick.. Had to take it easy.
Exempt

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:46 am

Getting better, but still extremely exhausted.. I actually tried to do a little walking around outside this evening to fulfill my 14 mins, but I really felt even too winded to do that.
Exempt

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:53 am

Well I felt okay today, but I had an interview this morning and I was stressed out all day and depressed afterwards, so I really didn't do any structured exercise.. I did walk back and forth from the car garage and took the stairs twice, so I wasn't completely sedentary.. Still, no being depressed etc should be any excuse for skipping exercise so I'm counting today as a failure...

I have one success this week and considering I was sick for most of it, I'm not really upset about that. Hopefully next week will be better. I hope I do some exercise this weekend too, but that's optional.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:46 am

Sat and Sunday Exempt

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:41 am

Monday and Tuesday: Success Wed: Failure
Tuesday I swam at my gym pool for about forty mins :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, Thursday was full of everyday activity like going back and forth to the car and stair climbing, and a little home furniture rearranging, but I didn't formally do any exercise... I'm counting it a failure, because for me, the idea of *intentional* exercise, not just incidental, is what I'm trying to shoot for, to create a habit, even if it's very lame exercise..
I still haven't carved out that habit, and I will continue to document this till I do.

Roll on February!!!
I'm really gonna shoot for full compliance this month, but obviously, if I have a few failures I won't sweat it. (literally and figuratively haha)

Have a great weekend guys :D
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Friday failure, Sat & Sunday exempt
Glad January is over! :D