Lorelei's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lorelei

Lorelei's Daily Check-In

Post by Lorelei » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:43 am

I've been following No S since the beginning of June. I've had no trouble sticking with it until recently. I'm not trying to lose weight. (I lost 50 pounds by obsessively counting points/calories, and continued to do so in order to keep it off for the past 6 years.) I am following No S in order to normalize my relationship with food and retrain my mind to get out of the "diet mentality." I think this is the perfect program because it fits into my (and most everyone's) lifestyle so seamlessly. What a joy it is to not "freak out" when someone invites me to a meal, or when I come home to find that my husband has cooked dinner. It is an amazing feeling to be liberated from all of those crazy negative emotions and fears surrounding food. Cooking, eating, and social events are something to be enjoyed. It's been a long time since I truly felt that way.

Unfortunately, the past few weeks have been rough. I've been sick off and on, and have been unable to exercise. I have also had more than my share of "over-the-top" S Days. (That old "diet mentality" is so hard to get rid of!) I don't like the way I feel right now. I am having trouble sleeping, dealing with increased anxiety, and my stomach doesn't feel so great. In order to reestablish my healthy habits, I have decided to keep an online log for the next 21 days.

My Goals:

1) Follow Vanilla No S.
2) Remember how gross it feels to have over-the-top S Days.
3) Limit consumption of foods that make me feel ill. Deep-fried food, super sugary sweets, and stuff made with lots of rich dairy products - this means you!
4) Break a good sweat at least 3 times each week.
5) If the weather isn't disgusting, take a leisurely walk during lunch and/or after work, or any time over the weekend.
Last edited by Lorelei on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:29 am

Those are great goals, Lorelei. I think I'm going to steal them. :)

Good luck!
Julie

Lorelei

August 7

Post by Lorelei » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks, Julie!

1) Success
2) Success
3) Success - Went out for Japanese food. Enjoyed a meal of sashimi, sushi rolls, tofu, and nabeyaki udon. As far as limiting "problem" foods - I had just one piece of tempura (which came with my soup) and a small dish of green tea ice cream. Left feeling satisfied (and no tummy ache!)
4) Day off
5) Didn't walk, though probably should have since it was a beautiful (non-humid!) day.

Lorelei

August 8

Post by Lorelei » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:01 pm

1) Success
2) Success - Had a few small treats, but nothing crazy.
3) Success
4) Day off
5) Nasty, humid, sticky weather. No walk for me.

Feeling good! Planned a menu of heathly dinners for the week. Leftovers will make nice lunches for the following day. Looking forward to the week ahead.

Lorelei

August 9

Post by Lorelei » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:42 pm

1) Success
2) N/A
3) Success
4) Day off
5) Didn't walk. Too sticky out. However, since I take public transportation to and from work, I do get about 2 1/2 miles in on work days. I can't wait until this hazy, hot, and humid weather is GONE!

Lorelei

August 10

Post by Lorelei » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:59 pm

1) Success
2) N/A
3) Success
4) Success - I reeeaaaallllllly wanted to excuse myself from exercising due to the insanely humid and hot weather. This is precisely the reason that my goal is simply to "break a sweat" 3 times a week. No set number of miles to walk or jog, no set number of hours to work out. My workouts can be 20 minutes or they can be an hour. This gives me the freedom to make adjustments as I see fit - whether it's my schedule, the weather, or whatever else. There is no room for guilt, and it feels good. With my old mindset, I would probably have felt "bad" for doing "only" a 2-mile walk/jog (instead of my usual 3 or 4). Instead, I feel pretty darn good that I am working toward a reasonable and sustainable goal.
5) Did the "sweaty" workout in the morning, and didn't want to be a big sweatball at the office. I am very ready for fall!

Lorelei

August 11 & 12

Post by Lorelei » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:56 pm

August 11:

1) Success
2) N/A
3) Success
4) Day off
5) Again with the yucky weather. Ugh.

August 12:

1) Success
2) N/A
3) Success
4) Success (2/3 done for the week!)
5) Busy day - no time for walking, but the weather has improved! Yay!

I'm getting ready for the upcoming weekend - heading to Costco tomorrow for my favorite snacky treat! Also - got my hair colored yesterday and my stylist said I can't wash it for 48 hours! Eek! Guess that means I have to save that last workout of the week for Sunday. I can't bear not washing my hair after exercise. Ick! I usually take the weekends off from working out, but I hope I can get my butt in gear!

Lorelei

August 13 & 14

Post by Lorelei » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:51 am

August 13:

1) Success
2) N/A
3) Success
4) Day off
5) Busy day - no time for walking. :(

August 14:

1) Success
2) Success - went out for brunch; enjoyed a few small treats throughout the day.
3) Success
4) Day off
5) Beautiful day - wish I would have taken a stroll around the neighborhood! Planning on it for tomorrow.