SarahKay's Journey

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sarahkay

SarahKay's Journey

Post by sarahkay » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm back!

I am doing this for real this time. I am so fed up with being overweight. I had a conversation with my grandmother this weekend, and I asked her about how her family ate when she was growing up. It is just like the No S Diet. I knew it would be. And she told me it was very uncommon to see overweight people. She said they also walked a lot; to school, to the store, to the post office. And of course she played outside all the time with her brothers.

This conversation really stuck with me. My grandma has NEVER been overweight. Ever. And all my aunts and uncles, and my parents, are overweight. Something has changed here. My grandma also said that everyone ate at home. No fast food every day.

I am going to eat like that. No S is the most pleasant way of losing weight I have ever found, and I'm going to make it work for me.

Today is Day One for me. So far so good!

B: chicken salad sandwich (I'm not crazy about breakfast foods haha!)
L:
D:

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm

I think it's interesting how I feel when I eat this way. Let me explain.

Yesterday I ate oatmeal and toast for breakfast, then a salad with a slice of bread with butter for lunch, then beef stew and biscuits for dinner. I never had that really really full, bloated feeling. And at first I almost panicked. It was... I felt insecure that way. But I also liked it... my stomach felt okay instead of bulging and I felt like I could still move after I ate. I even walked around my neighborhood after dinner with my sister!

This new not-stuffed feeling is nice, but also makes me scared. I guess that's what it means when someone says they feel insecure or uncomfortable when they lose weight. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

flutterby7

Post by flutterby7 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm

I know what you mean. I started No S for the first time last week and it is an odd sensation. The S days were crazy too, I almost felt scared to give myself free reign on what I could eat. I actually didn't eat something I had planned on making (cake) because I did so well last week, i didn't want to mess it up. I guess that is what this system is all about, changing those habits which soooo clearly have not worked in the past. Good luck to you!

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Welcome back! Hope your first day back was a good one :-)
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

sarahkay

Day Three

Post by sarahkay » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Day Three = SUCCESS!

Okay, day one and two were failures. But I think I know why. I get panicked and start to eat to comfort myself. Now that I know this, I think I can be better prepared for it.

I wanted to make today a new "Day One" but that would defeat the purpose of learning through my mistakes. So today is Day Three and so far so good!!

And flutterby7, I'm glad someone understands how I'm feeling! I'm also glad to have someone to chat with who is fairly new to No S too!

And thank you for the warm welcome Sienna!

:)

>>> I am happy to announce my first successful No S Day!! WOO!!!

I had a great struggle between lunch and dinner to not eat something. It wasn't really hunger, just simply wanting something. I wanted a snack so bad!! I guess I was just wanting to de-stress after school. But I resisted; distracted myself with my brother's video game and such. And I did it!!! I am soooo happy! :) :) :) :)
Last edited by sarahkay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sienna

Re: Day Three

Post by Sienna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 pm

sarahkay wrote:Okay, day one and two were failures. But I think I know why. I get panicked and start to eat to comfort myself. Now that I know this, I think I can be better prepared for it.
Comfort eating is my biggest problem too. In fact, most if not all of the failures I've had on NoS have been because I convinced myself that I "needed" to fail because I couldn't cope otherwise. Except that I can cope in other ways - it's just not always the default (although I'm getting better).

For me, just recognizing that I was eating out of stress instead of hunger was a huge help. Now when I feel really antsy and like I *need* to cheat, I have other things I do to help me calm down and take control.

One of my favorites, if I'm at home, is to take a nice warm shower. I don't care if it's randomly in the middle of the day. It's a lot harder to eat in the shower and it helps me gather my thoughts and relax so that I don't feel like I *need* to eat anymore. I have a really expensive (read: I never buy it for myself so when I get it as a gift I use it sparingly to make it last) sea salt scrub that I also use to help make me chill out.

Good luck with Day 3! The great thing about this diet is that each day is a new chance for success! :-)

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Day Four = SUCCESS!

I had to do some virtual plating at dinner since I was at work, and I'm a waitress at a pizzeria, so we are allowed to order from the small portions menu, or share a pizza among the 4 or 5 of us. I ordered the half hoagy and small salad. It comes with chips. I ate some of the chips and then thought, there's no way these would fit on my plate too. So I did something incredible... I threw the rest away. I can't believe it. Not that I'm promoting food waste, but no one else wanted them and my waist line sure didn't either! Next time I'll know to get the chips OR the salad and not have the temptation.

I can't believe I did it! :) And for breakfast I had some leftover macaroni and cheese. Then at lunch I had a chicken salad sandwich. Not exactly a whole plate but I only had a little bit of time. And then my dinner at work. I feel awesome. And get this! I was actually hungry in the morning... Probably because I didn't overeat the night before!!

This is so great!! :)

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Day Five = Failure.

This week:
M-Failure
T-Failure
W-Success
Th-Success
F-Failure

Not the best week... but I guess I'm still learning. Next week is a new week :]
Last edited by sarahkay on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:13 pm

sarahkay wrote:Day Four = SUCCESS!

Not that I'm promoting food waste, but no one else wanted them and my waist line sure didn't either! Next time I'll know to get the chips OR the salad and not have the temptation.
Congratulations on your Success!!! Yay!

One of my favorite dieting quotes is "Better to go to waste, than to the waist" (not sure exactly where I first heard/read it...)

It's such a different mentality than I was raised with, but I've found that on my weightloss journey wasting food by throwing it out eventually led to obtaining less food in the first place (so less waste AND less waist). And on the balance that's good! So don't worry about promoting food waste :-)

Have a fantastic Friday and then enjoy your S days this weekend!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Day Six/Seven = S Days

Saturday was insane... but today was better. Thinking about the sometimes part of S days helps me to not go too wild. We'll see how the rest of today goes.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Just wanted to say hi. I am back to No-S for good also after quitting late last year. I'm on day 5! This is definitely a wonderful way to eat for life. I, too, struggle, but this is not a sprint. It's a marathon!

A wonderful new week starts tomorrow!

I'll see ya around......

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Day Eight = Failure.

Ugh. I got into that 'oh-just-give-it-up' mode. Decided I wouldn't be on any diet. But then when I woke up this morning, I wanted to do No S... a lot!!

So I'm trying again today. And when I get frustrated and want to quit again, I'm going to tell myself that quitting is simply not an option.

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:43 am

Failures happen. Especially at the beginning before you hit a rhythm. But you can do this!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 pm

I get it. This is what I've struggled with my whole life. I consider quitting occasionally too, but then I think about my health and how I need to do something........and this is the most fun I've ever had losing weight!!!!!

Just keep coming back. We're here for ya!

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:56 am

Sarahkay, I tried to post on the thread you started, but got disconnected. Maybe you're not eating enough at your meals. It's hard to be tempted when you're full.

Don't feel bad. Ive been here at the boards for 13 months. I've gained 1 kilo because I had too many failures. It's first now that I'm finally getting with the program!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.