Maillot_Jaune 2014 Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Maillot_Jaune

Maillot_Jaune 2014 Daily Check-In

Post by Maillot_Jaune » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:59 pm

This is my first post. Hello to everyone and I am really apprehensive about the No S System. I have a lovely loving family, little dog and a very comfortable lifestyle and consider myself to be very blessed.

I am here to focus on my eating habits of 3 meals a day and if the by-product is weight loss then so be it but from what I have read, the emphasis is about changing habits rather than focussing on the number on my scale.

So here we are. I would like to know from the regular No S people, do you tend to plan what you're going to eat for your three meals or just show up at mealtimes?

For me the idea of planning food is inextricably linked to other weight loss programs and I tend to rebel against having what I've planned for each meal. I guess that will be a personal challenge for me to overcome.

Right I will stop chattering on and wait for your replies.

Thanks so much in advance!
Height: 5' 5"
Starting weight: 11st 5.2lbs
Absolutely mad about bicycles and cycling!
No S devotee since 25th April 2014

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Well, before NoS I never planned much about meals and I ended up eating a lot of fast food! So, yes, I do make sure I take enough to work for lunch, and make sure I have food in the house for dinner. Otherwise I end up starving and that is when I would be most tempted to snack or go to McDonald's!

The most important part of successful NoSing for me is making absolutely sure I take my lunch to work. Dinner is not such a big deal, as long as I start cooking it before I am ravenous.

How about if your "planned" meals have something that most diets would have said were a no-no? Like french fries, potato chips, mashed potatoes....tons of butter, etc. Then you'll feel like it's a holiday rather than a diet! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Maillot_Jaune

Post by Maillot_Jaune » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:20 am

Thank you do much for replying.

I like your suggestions and will certainly try them out.

Diligence

Post by Diligence » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:04 pm

How are things going for you? Are you sticking with No S? Figured out if you need to plan ahead for meals? I didn't used to have to plan ahead specifically for No S but realized I couldn't keep denying that I can't eat many of the foods my family eats without it making me ill. So, now I have to think about what I can eat and plan accordingly, often making two meals so I can eat as can the others. If I didn't accept that I've got to accept these restrictions, then I could and would probably just eat what I make for the others.

Maillot_Jaune

Post by Maillot_Jaune » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

Hello Dillogence,

I've had a good No S week and am really keeping the rules simple. I am a bit upset by some upsetting news and am finding it hard not to eat emotionally.

Planning has helped this week.

Thank you for your reply! Hope you are having a good week too?

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 01, 2014 9:25 am

Sorry to hear that you had upsetting news! Do something nice for yourself :) (ideally, non-food)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Maillot_Jaune

Post by Maillot_Jaune » Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Dear Eschano,

Thank you for your message. As a matter of fact, I have just ordered a 1000 piece jigsaw. So I have treated myself to a non-food treat.

My No S report for today is SUCCESS

B: Porridge, strawberries and cherries
L: Ham sandwich with salad, a few grapes (oh to have a roll for lunch!)
S: Sausage, mash and veggies, cheese and grapes

I have kicked the Diet Coke habit as it just makes me feel full and uncomfortable.

Well, night night and speak to you all in the morning!

Happy me x

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri May 02, 2014 10:56 am

Maillot_Jaune wrote:
I have kicked the Diet Coke habit as it just makes me feel full and uncomfortable.
Oh, well done! I have kicked it only this lent and feel so much better for it now.

Also, glad to hear you found a treat :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021