kwerp's checking in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kwerp

kwerp's checking in

Post by kwerp » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:16 pm

So I started Tuesday officially.
My background: I'm 36 years old, I'm 5'4'', currently around 141 lbs. I've been 103.5 lbs when I ran 6 miles/day and ate very little. That wasn't healthy.
Over the last decade I've been between 120-145.

Previously I've always done well on low-carb diets, but since moving to the UK (American expat), I've found this is pretty rough. Not only that, I just don't have the willpower/ patience for special food. I want to eat normal food, at normal intervals, in normal amounts.

I have some cardio equipment in my home now (elliptical machine, indoor bike, and water rowing machine), so I have no excuse not to get at least 15-20 min of cardio in every day.

I figure - if I can eat according to the No S diet, have at least 15 min of cardio every day...surely I can shift 10 lbs of what I'm currently carrying around. I'd prefer 20 lb loss, but ideally - what I'm really striving for is normalcy. I want to feel like a normal human eating normally. I want to have breakfast, lunch and dinner without it being a total guilt trip or counting game/ forage for special food to prepare.

So Tuesday I had eggs and fruit. Then I had a burger and chips for lunch, and a microwave curry for dinner. Not very virtuous. But I did work out 25 min in the morning.
Wednesday - eggs and toast (Toast! For the first time in AGES!!). Lunch was chicken and rice; dinner was chicken and rice, salad, and an apple perched on the plate, but saved for later.
Today was two pieces of toast (man, do I love bread!). One piece with some crunchy peanut butter, the other with a bit of raspberry jam. It was whole grain, high fiber bread. This was at 7am. When my colleagues wanted to eat at 1pm, I was absolutey fine with that. I had more of chicken, rice and veg with an apple. It was great to eat with friends and not fret over my food. Dinner was more chicken, rice and veg with an apple.

So far so good. I don't think I'll lose weight very fast, but right now it just feels great to eat a normal meal without stressing. I definitely feel an urgency to loose weight quick - but that's also tempered with the desire for a slow, steady weight loss, and good habits being formed. I want to learn how not to starve then binge.

That said...the siren call of snacking is constant. I'm one of those constant grazers - If I'm in the kitchen, I'm used to putting some treat or other into my mouth: a slice of cheese, spoonful of peanut butter, this or that - it never mattered. Now I'm too hooked on having my habitcal looking green.

Tomorrow will be a challenge. A big work night out at a pub. I know I'll have quite a few beers. I'm hoping if I have a good dinner, that will ward off the midnight food desire....but tomorrow is going to be a non-Sat/Sun S day from 6pm onward. I plan on having breakfast, lunch and dinner....but if needs be require a midnight snack, it's going to be allowed.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Welcome! I hope No S gives you the sense of calm, normal eating that I've enjoyed the past 3 years. Make that your main goal and you can't go wrong.

Coming from a dieting background (as I do myself), I'd encourage you to try to let go of worrying about what is on your plate for a while, as you get the 3 meal habit sorted. Leave out the worry about "virtuous" food. I sometimes have plates of home grown veg, and sometimes I eat red duck curry with coconut cream - both taste awesome, which is virtue enough for me.

Good luck!

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:03 am

So far so good I guess? Monday was played a little fast and loose with virtual plating - I didn't have my lunch made and relied on granola bars and fruit. It is way less satisfying than preparing a 'full plate' hot food lunch for myself.
Yesterday went really well. Usual toast for breakfast (essentially an open faced, toasted PB&J, but who cares). Lunch was filling. On the ride home from work, the husband dug into a bag of sweeties, which I declined. I actually thought I don't want to spoil my appetite.

The siren call of chocolate and ice cream was strong last night, but I didn't give in. :D
I am looking forward to doing well this week, and enjoying a big family BBQ this weekend, guilt-free!

tacodiscos

Re: kwerp's checking in

Post by tacodiscos » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:00 am

kwerp wrote:So I started Tuesday officially.
My background: I'm 36 years old, I'm 5'4'', currently around 141 lbs. I've been 103.5 lbs when I ran 6 miles/day and ate very little. That wasn't healthy.
Over the last decade I've been between 120-145.

Previously I've always done well on low-carb diets, but since moving to the UK (American expat), I've found this is pretty rough. Not only that, I just don't have the willpower/ patience for special food. I want to eat normal food, at normal intervals, in normal amounts.
Woah! We are the exact same age with the same food story!! I'll be cheering you on!!
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:00 am

Thanks Taco. :)

Today I got on the scale. I know, I know, it's a poor measurement of success, and all that. But I was pleased with what I saw! 2lbs down from last Friday. Not bad.

Aaaaaand. I have been eating real food. Carb-laden real food. Breakfast is still my toast - one slice with crunchy pb, the other with jam. I figure I'm happy to eat this until I'm not. ;)

Lunch is rice with some sort of meat casserole on top. Stroganoff has worked a charm. Dinner is 2/3 of the plate - more rice and either chicken & veg or a beef-tomato-veg pasta-type sauce. Then I add a 'snacky' thing I like - maybe two crackers with cheese on top or rice cakes with hot salsa (don't ask, but I love it!). I always leave some space for my fruit. Usually I leave the fruit to eat later in the evening. It doesn't feel like a cheat at all.

So I'm not living off of lettuce leaves and low-fat dressing. :lol: I feel full when I'm done, and an hour or so before each meal I'm feeling hungry and ready to eat - AND I know it's going to be a rewarding meal. And if my coworkers want to go out for a meal after work - I know I can join them, and eat whatever I want. I don't have to pass up social engagements for the sake of losing weight.

I also feel like I'll probably stick to similar 3 meals on the weekends, but include a sweet treat here or there, or allow myself a small snack if something is presented to me. I'm fine passing up things during the week. I've had a box of mini ice cream sandwiches staring at me every time I open the freezer - I have no compulsion to eat them.

I think the key is the reasonably-size meals at reasonable times. There's no sense of deprivation, so I don't rebel. And once rebellion kicks in, there's that 'oh, well I might as well just go crazy tonight, because tomorrow I'm back to restriction.' And maybe that was where all the damage of compulsive-overeating stems from.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:37 am

Sounds like you're off to a great start.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:06 am

Thanks eschano! :)

Had my first fail last Friday. Did fine until dessert was ordered while out with a friend. Ah well.

I had to remove the exercise habitcal tracker. I found that seeing the red made it demoralizing for my noS tracker. Yesterday came perilously close to a fail - it was a crappy day at work, I was tired, and wanted to lick my wounds with snacks and sweets after my dinner. I had an apple left, but didn't want to eat THAT.

And the rationale started going through my mind - I already had a few red squares on my exercise calendar, and one on my noS calendar, what was one more? It's surprising how psychological this all is. So I deleted the exercise calendar, grabbed a peach to replace the apple, and then went to bed.

So now I have one red square on my calendar, and my goal is to make it the only one.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Oh yeah definitely don't use the habitcal if you find it discouraging. I used it in the beginning for food but not exercise. I kind of feel like it's good to focus on one habit at a time but do what works for you.

Anyway good job with the apple situation & a late welcome to the forum!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:46 am

Still doing well on No S. I'm certainly not losing weight. Any losses I saw must have been a fluctuation of the scale, because it's back up again.

BUT....I'm not going to tinker with No S just yet. I just want to build the habit, and maybe try to work out more. Lately I've been tired and just get home, have dinner, and then go soak in the bath while reading my kindle. Oh well.

We have another big BBQ this Saturday. Then I think the major weekend social events are off, so maybe my S days will be less crazy.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:22 pm

I know I talk about this a lot but I spent several months just focusing on the habits before I really started to lose weight. The emotional rewards of nos were enough to keep me motivated for a long time. Now that my habits are strongly intact it's easy to play around with smaller portions and lighter food to get the results I want. (I had/have ALOt to lose!)

Also you don't sound like you are really technically overweight although I get that you might feel better at a lower weight. Still with small amounts of weight to lose, expect very slow weight loss. The good news is this is a very sustainable, enjoyable way to live and you'll never have to go on a crazy diet again.

So that's a long way of saying I'm happy you're hanging there and not trying to tinker with things just yet. I hope you don't get discouraged. Trying to focus on the habits for awhile is very smart. Enjoy all the benefits that come with putting food back in its normal place. The rest will come in time.

Linda :)

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:41 am

Linda... you're so supportive!! I could just hug you!!
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 pm

Aww thanks taco! ☺ï¸

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Hmm, let's dust this thing off, yes?
I quit after two-ish weeks. Things got way worse, then way better, then back to where I started. Anyway. Hoping to get a good N day tomorrow, and then officially see how July goes.

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:09 am

Welcome back! I hope you can get some good habits going again :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks Merry! :)

Today I weighed in. 142.2 :(

It's about where I was at last year (before it got way worse).
I have hearty breakfast, lunch and dinner planned. Breakfast was a bit of a problem; I may go back to having my toast - one slice with peanut butter, the other with low-sugar jam. I made a big batch of curry which will serve as lunch/ dinner.

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Day 1/21 a success.
Breakfast was a breaded chicken breast and re-heated potatoes (for resistant starch)
Lunch was homemade curry over re-heated potatoes
By dinner time, I was sick of potatoes, so I had canned tuna and aspargus with this aoli sauce I got in Florida + macaroni cheese. That felt so decadent, but totally fit on the plate.

Stopped off at Aldi's for my toast/ peanut butter/ strawberry preserves. I was going to buy the lower cal bread, but the seed/ nutty whole grain was actually cheaper, and I like it more. And I'm not counting calories, right?! I did buy the cheaper strawberry jam, because it had quite a bit less sugar in it (49g/100g vs 62g/100g). I do enjoy my jam, but I'm not a snob, so I'm ok with the cheaper stuff, and I feel better having less sugar.

I am feeling peckish in the later eveing, but I'm soooo looking forward to my toast tomorrow. And, I've been craving cake for some odd reason, so I think I'm going to find some for Saturday. Not a massive one, mind, just a good healthy slice to celebrate the weekend. I don't wan S days to be gorge-fests, but rather days I set aside for one snack, one awesome dessert....and my regular three meals.

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:25 am

Yesterday was great. I didn't weigh.
Breakfast was usual toast
Lunch was chicken curry with rice
Dinner was a mini pizza with potatoes + bbq sauce (finishing up the ones I had cooked) and one small apple perched on the plate, which I had later.

Peed a LOT through the night, today I'm at 140, so down 2.2 lbs. Ultimately I think I'd like to be at 130, so this will take some time, but I want the good habits and break free from any binge cycles.

I'm glad I have an S day today, but I think I'll plan to stick to three meals plus a snack and/or a sweet treat if I feel like it.

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:08 am

The weekend was ok... I snacked a bit on Saturday. Sunday weight was down to 138.8. I had some good food and ice cream, then Monday, 140.
Today, it's up to 141, but looking at the calendar and some other symptoms, this is easily hormonal. I DID have a big plate of pasta with two cheddar bay biscuits (bought from CostCo in the US), so it was definitely a lot of carbs.

Oh well. Guess I'll just keep on keeping on. :)

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:51 pm

It's about choice.
I was given a gift from my boss today for holding down the fort while he was gone, a big box of toblerone chocolate. I said thanks, then immediate thought that I'd save it for the weekend. I told DH as well not to eat it until the weekend, when I could have some of it.

Then there was a food in a particular part of the building. I thought I'd grab a sandwich and save it for dinner or for lunch tomorrow. Upon seeing the selections, I realized I didn't want it for either, and eating it out-right wasn't an option because that would result in a red day.

Dinner was good. Substantial and no reason why I'd need more than I had. As I was washing up the dishes, I was thinking I could have gone for more food. And then I realized, 'no, you had plenty. You had a whole bloomin' plate of food, you're not hungry.' And that was true. I've been depressed lately, no fighting it.

Part of my reason for going back to No S is that DH and I are currently financially strapped. We need to cut corners, and the easiest place is our food budget. We rarely go out as it is... The only thing I can think about is how stressed out I am about money and work and the crap food I'm reduced to eating. Sure, I like eating carb-rich foods, but ultimately I know it isn't the most healthy. :(

kwerp

Post by kwerp » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:04 am

Back down to 138.6 today. Not bad, but I suspect it might be due to dehydration? We'll see.